Lip Injections: Cannula or Regular Needle?

Hi! I would like to know which method is better for lip enhancement, not only for volume, but also for cupid bow raising, fixing asymmetry in lip? I have had one bad experience with lip injections, had big lumps, uneven filler placement and it was done with cannula. The only part that I did like - cupid bow - was injected with needle... I understand that great doctor is a key to success, but is needle type also important in lip enhancement? Thank you!

Lip Injection and Technique

The best results from lip injections come from the skill and artistry and experience of the injector, not from the needle versus the cannula.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise with these types of cosmetic injections.

Lip Injections

Hello. As a cosmetic dermatologist, I find that each patient is unique and some are more suited to filling the lips using a cannula, while others may be better suited to a regular, small gauged needle.To decrease the risk of bruising, I usually apply a topical anaesthetic mixed with a vasoconstrictor agent prior to injections.Hope this helps.

Gail Nield, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Lip fillers

I think its a matter of preference, but really the end result is secondary to the injector's technique and experience. I typically use a needle in my practice and am happy with the results.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Lip Injections witn Cannula or Needle

Dear name1234,

• This is a great question and each surgeon has their methods for predicable results
  • I use a cannula to inject the body of the lips because it layers it nicely (and smoothly) when done correctly
  • For the lip line, Cupid's bow and to fix asymmetries, a needle works best in my hands
  • Seek a specialist based on before and after pics and reviews

Dr. Nima

Nima Shemirani, MD

Both work very well in the proper hands. I love how cannulas lay down longer, consistent threads of product but in some cases cannulas can cause more lip pain. Results are, however, entirely injector dependent. If you had a bad experience seek out a new injector. I would seek out a great physician injector who creates beautiful lips and not get too hung up on whether they use a sharp or cannula technique. Best.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Needle or Cannula for lip enhancement

I use both and I think having that option is best. Cannulas allow for generalized deeper filling of the lips. Needle allows for more detailed injection, like the cupids bow and vermillion borders. Above the lip, the ergotrid, I like the cannulas for less bruising. Restylane Silk is best placed with a needle very superficially.and tends to have less bumps than the others. I like to place Juvederm and Restylane deep using a cannula, then go back and do a bit with the needle for details, kind of like you described. Cannulas in general give less bruising than needles. MOST important is finding a good injector who knows the proper anatomy of the perfect lip, see link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD