Dermatologist VS Plastic Surgeon for lip fillers?

Hearing mixed reviews about which one to go to for Lip fillers. Which one would you recommend and why?

I don't think the discipline makes a difference. A properly certified and filler experienced Derm or PS will give you similar results. Regardless of which you choose review their before and after photos and ensure that they regularly create pretty lips with fillers that look natural. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgeon for Lip Fillers

Mahinaleiann,

You want to be in the hands of an expert. It is the only way to ensure that you are getting your money's worth. After all, a cosmetic procedure is an investment.

Board certification ensures that your facial plastic surgeon provides the highest quality knowledge, experience, care and treatment available. I suggest you visit a facial plastic surgeon as the lips are their expertise. Please do your due diligence on the surgeons to ensure that they have a high degree of experience with positive patient testimonials and patient feedback.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Who to go to for Lip filler

There are many great Dermatologists, Plastic Surgeons and Cosmetic Surgeons that provide great treatments with lip fillers.  It is important to talk with the office about the provider's experience and see if they have before and after pictures.  There are many providers where lip injections are within their scope of practice but they may rarely do injections.  Nurses and Nurse Practitioners can also be great injectors.  My office utilizes a Nurse Practitioner for lip injections and in her experience she has injected 10+ patients a week.  
Be sure to ask questions and work with the office and provider that is going to be happy to answer any questions you have.

H. George Brennan, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermatologist vs Plastic Surgeon for lip fillers

Hello Mahinaleainn,

I'm not sure that the decision is really between two or three classes of physicians and surgeons, but more on the individual provider. Find a provider who has done a lot of lips and can either show you photos of lip injections, or have been reviewed well by other patients.

I also believe that not all techniques are created equal. I prefer to use cannulas and not needle administration of the filler because I think that it has a very low tendency of getting lumps, and has decreased bruising and swelling as compared to conventional techniques.

Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermatologist for lip fillers?

The most important aspect of choosing a physician for injections is to ascertain if they are injecting patients every day and their experience.  I find that dermatologists who are injecting all day long are uniquely qualified for this.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist to review your options so that you can have a natural look to your lips.