Jaw surgery or fat pad removal? How can I tell if my bone structure or my buccal fat pad is what makes my face so wide?

I'm 30, have a face shaped like an inverted triangle/am Asian with a heavy, square jawline. It makes me uncomfortable.My face is fuller in the lower portion than the upper, no matter how much I weigh. Can a surgeon tell me whether buccal fat pad surgery is advisable for me or not to bring out my cheeks more? Is it possible that would make me appear more sunken? It's cheaper & seems less risky to me, so I'd consider it a good alternative to jaw surgery. #jaw surgery #buccal fat pad removal

Jaw surgery or fat pad removal for inverted triangle asian face = buccal fat removal could be an option #buccalfatremoval

Asian patients usually tend to have a wide lower face that makes them to have an triangular shape appearance. One of the causes of this physical finding is usually  a large buccal fat removall.

In my practice, most of the asian patients with wide lower face benefit from buccal fat removal. This plastic surgery procedure address the fullness of the lower anterior cheeks. If the patient have fullness of the POSTERIOR  lower cheeks, it is usually because they chew a lot of gum, and therefore they have large masseter muscles ( in addition of a wide jaw bone). In this case, "shrinkage" of the master muscle with Botox to masseter, in addition of stopping chewing gum, can make to achieve more sculpted, less chubby face (see example of a male asian patient bellow)

Patients interested in buccal fat removal  should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialized in plastic surgery procedures of the face

Slimming the face

Slimming the face is a very common request from Asian patients. Without a proper evaluation, it is difficult to make any recommendations.  Some patients need buccal fat removal, others jaw reduction, and some both.  The best recommendation is to consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.  3-dimensional computer imaging can help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD