One implant dropping slower than other, will they even out? (Photo)

I'm 21 days out and one implant looks really good, the other is still sitting higher and looks smaller and less round (less side boob than the other implant). Should I be concerned?

Post-Op, Implants Settling Differently

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION:

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

Given the fact that it is only two weeks into your healing process there is more time to be allowed for complete and even settling of your implants. However, if you are concerned or worried at all you should visit your surgeon to have the area examined to make sure that healing is progressing well. Good luck.

Post-Op, Implants Settling Differently

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

1.    pain is variable

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

Breast Asymmetry

Your asymmetry seems significant, although as the others said it is still early. One thing that will not have any effect is implant massage. This is a method  proven to be ineffective, which causes more harm then good; it places the blame of complications or unsatisfactory result on the patient, by giving them the idea that massage is an important part of process. Massage is unnecessary for normal healing, and will not prevent or treat capsular contracture, something you may be developing. Give it 3 to 6 months. If you do have capsular contracture, you may opt for a revision surgery, something that should be performed though an inframammary incision, not a periareolar incision. 

Breast Asymmetry

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

I appreciate your question.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation / Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants / Silicone Implants / Breast Implant Revision Surgery

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. I ask my patients to wait 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to adapt to the changes in their breast size and shape as well as their overall new body image. There are a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery that feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. And those emotional feelings can change daily turning this transitional time. Remember also that each side of the body heals at a different rate and that you weren't perfectly asymmetric to begin with so although you should be closer in symmetry there will always be differences. It can take many months to see the final results of surgery. Swelling, soreness, skin repositioning, implant settling must resolve completely before you can make that determination. Once the swelling around the implants has also resolved you can see the final result. Patients often report that they are happier with the implants' shape their cleavage and projection once these changes occur.

I would suggest continued patience and continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes or an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term. 

Implants Dropping After Augmentation

From your photos, you are still very tight and need more time for the implants to settle into place. Massage can help relax the skin and stretch the tissues, but this will likely take time to improve. Asymmetry is common at this stage and much of this will resolve on its own.

You should continue to follow up with you doctor to ensure you progress as planned.

Vincent Marin, MD

Implants Dropping After Augmentation

Vincent Marin, MD

Implant Settling

Thank you for the photos.  Judging by your photos, yes it does appear that one side is dropping slower than the opposite.  At this point, given how early you are in the recovery phase, it is best to follow your plastic surgeons recommendations.  In general, most surgeon will tell you to be patient and give it 4-6 months before you can really evaluate how your results.  At that point things may be just right and you may be very happy with the results.  There is a lot going on during this time and the implants are adjusting.  One side may be slower or faster than the other and by the 4-6 months time they may have settled appropriately.  Continue with your follow ups and follow your surgeons recommendations.

Good luck.

Implant Settling

Good luck.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still early on in your recovery. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets, sometimes you heal quicker in one breast than the other and one implant can even drop sooner than the other one.  If one implant is still sitting too high, the use of a breast binder and a foam wedge is beneficial to add downward pressure to that breast. I would continue to perform your breast massages. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Breast augmentation

Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery

One implant dropping slower than other, will they even out?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and/or advice.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. ***It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Implant settling

Hello and thank you for your question. It is extremely common for one breast implant to drop or settle into its ideal pocket at a different rate than the other.  Final position should be achieved in about a month.  The cause of the difference is usually secondary to a thicker muscle on one side or slightly different muscle or breast release performed by the surgeon. I hope this helps. 

Implant settling

When implants don't settle the same

you should be discussing maneuvers with your surgeon about how to best achieve symmetry.  In my practice, I employ an asymmetric bra where the band of the bra on the higher side is pulled over the top of the higher side to constant apply downward pressure and at the same time support your good side.  Downward pushing with the hands are also done frequently until my patients feel they are even on top.  At this point in your recovery, you can expect further settling if you have smooth round implants.

When implants don't settle the same