I take 2.5 mg proscar for 1 year. If I switch to a lower dose of proscar (1.25 mg), will I lose hair?

1. I had a successful hair transplant 8 months ago 2. I have started taking 2 ml daily of 5% minoxidil.

Finasteride dosing change

If you are taking the finasteride for hair loss the usual dose is 1mg.Perhaps your prescribing doctor is treating something in addition to the hair loss.The typical dose for BPH (enlarged prostate) is 5mgs a day.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

The usual dose for hair loss is Proscar 1 mg dialy. I wouldn't expect you to lose hair with 1.25 mg.

You are taking 2.5 mgs of finasteride

You should be taking 1mg or 1.25 mgs as this is the normal recommended dose so by all means switch. The larger dose is no better than the normal dose

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

The recommended dose of finasteride for genetic hair loss is 1mg a day. So if you are taking 2.5mg then you need to discuss thi

The recommended dose of finasteride for genetic hair loss is 1mg a day. So if you are taking 2.5mg then you need to discuss this with your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon