Havind dental work before breast augmentation surgery?

I have my BA surgery next week and I'll have to get an interproximal reduction on two teeth this Friday for my orthodontics. My surgeon told me to avoid any dental work as it could introduce bacteria on my system. However my dentist claims it is perfectly OK to do it and not doing it now would delay my treatment for weeks. I don't know what to do but the fact that my gums always end up cut and bleeding whenever I go to the dentist makes me worry about bacteria. What should I do?

Dental Work before Surgery

Your question pertains to avoiding infection. Dental work may involve strep bacteria in the blood on a temporary basis. However, as long as you don't have ongoing Dental infections, I would think you would be well ready for breast augmentation within ten days or two weeks of your dental work.

Dental Work and Breast Augmentation

Of course you can get your dental work, as long as it doesn't cause any long term wound or chance of infection that may carry over to the time of your surgery. By the time you have your breast surgery, if your teeth and gums are back to normal, you will not have any bacterial introduction into your bloodstream, and no increased risk of capsular contracture. 

If your surgeon is concerned about risk reduction of capsular contracture, then be sure he is also: 1. Basing his implant selection on your tissue measurements. 2. Using an inframammary incision. 3. Using a Keller funnel to deliver the implant. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Dental Work and Breast Augmentation.

I would follow the advice of your plastic surgeon.  He or she will be the one to manage any potential complications of a breast augmentation not your orthodontist.  Both have a monetary bias toward you having the respective procedures and neither would like to have you delay the procedure.  

I would look at it with respect to your health.  Breast augmentation is not medically necessary.  The dental work might be more pressing and might need to be done if there will be issues with tooth decay.

To suggest that there is no bacteria released in your system by the dental procedure is likely not accurate as many studies have shown transient bacteremia (bacteria in the blood) from simple toothbrushing as high as 30-40% and even higher with sonicare type brushes.  This transient bacteremia is what your plastic surgeon is worried about because theoretically when there is some bleeding with the procedure some bacteria may come into contact with the breast implants and cause an infection or capsular contracture.

Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Thank you for your question.  It is very important and always best if you follow the specific advice of your board certified plastic surgeon.  Your dentist will not have to deal with any infection or other problems that your dental work may cause for your breast augmentation.  Personally I would prefer my patients have completed dental work 6 weeks before breast augmentation.  Please follow your plastic surgeon's advice..

Dental work before breast augmentation surgery

For my patients, I think it is reasonable for them to complete their dental work before surgery. Ideally it would be done at around a week before surgery.  Most patients get antibiotics on the day of their surgery for breast augmentation in order to help prevent infection. 

However sometimes patients have had recent breast augmentation and have unanticipated, but necessary dental work. In these patients, they are probably still healing and have a small seroma around their implants. In these patients I would probably offer oral antibiotics prior to their dental procedure. I think there might be many personal opinions on this topic and that it has not been well studied.

Dental work before breast augmentation

I would agree with the other plastic surgeons.  I have my patients take a precautionary dose of antibiotics prior to any dental cleaning, especially if your dental work is more advanced.  Make sure you discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Dental work before breast augmentation

There are 2 schools of thought on this. I believe if the interproximal reduction has been done and healed( including any bleeding or cuts in the gums) by 48 hours before the procedure you have nothing to worry about. There have been reports of capsular contractures developing after teeth cleaning which is thought to be from the transient bacteremia ( bacteria in the bloodstream) although this was never proven as there are many other factors involved. So it is a concern, but if you have healed I think it is safe to proceed, however if you could move one of the procedure to be safe I would recommend it. At least an additional week so there is no worry.

W. John Bull, MD

Dental work before surgery

The issue of seeding infection is particularly important in breast augmentation which introduces a foreign body into your system.  I would not rely on the dentist's opinion as this could have consequences for your surgery.  Contact your plastic surgeon to discuss.  Further, I believe that it is possible that the interproximal reduction, an orthodontic procedure, can be delayed.  Please read your paperwork to ascertain whether putting off the augment could result in a cancellation fee.

Breast Augmentation and Dental Work

There is some truth to this and I always request that my patients take a single dose of antibiotics before any dental work, after they have had their augmentation.

At this point, it would be wise to discuss this with your plastic surgeon to see if he/she would want to delay your surgery to make sure you are clear after your dental procedure.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Dental work and breast augmentation

I fully agree with your plastic surgeon- when you have even a dental cleaning, bacteria routinely gets into your bloodstream- this is called bacteremia.  These bacteria tend to cling to implanted materials and can cause an infection of your implants which can be devastating.  Listen to your plastic surgeon and make sure you tell he or she exactly what you are planning to do.  

Dr L.