Elderberry syrup before surgery?

I am 8 days out from surgery and have ceased all medication and most supplements outside of vitamin c and zinc that I was told would be safe. My allergies have come on full swing this weekend and I'm trying to do everything possible to keep it at bay. Will elderberry syrup be safe to take? I can't seem to find any negative interactions it could cause. Also, will seasonal allergies prevent me from getting surgery?

Clearing dietary supplements with your surgeon before an operation.

I can't imagine that elderberry syrup we created problems for your surgeon. Nevertheless, this is a question that should be addressed specifically to your own doctor.

Breast augmentation - is elderberry syrup ok?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• You need to check with your own surgeon as to her/his protocol.
  • If the juice helps with your allergies, I would probably want you to take it.
  • However, seasonal allergies would have to be exceptionally severe to require rescheduling of surgery.
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Discontinue all herbals before surgery

I applaud you for using natural supplements to help heal you allergies.  However, my advice to all my patients is to discontinue all herbals 2 weeks prior to surgery. Elderberry syrup contains Echinacea which has been shown to enhance immune function.  This should be used with caution in certain people who have autoimmune diseases because the Echinancea could make symptoms worse.  In surgical patients, herbals should be stopped because they can have powerful effect similar to pharmaceutical drugs.  These effects could result in increased bleeding, adverse reactions to anesthesia, hyperactive response to medications you may be allergic to, etc.  If in doubt, always ask your PS for his or her advice.

Elderberry syrup before surgery?

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your upcoming breast augmentation.  Though you should clear all medications and supplements with your physician prior to surgery elderberry syrup should be fine to have prior to surgery.  I am unaware of any complications with bleeding or anesthesia that it may pose. Best wishes.