Breast implants - I had breast implants administered in 2008.

Since that time in past few years i develiped spots on my liver spot on my brain enlarged lymphnodes.And as a result of these spots Drs have administered chemo. Now I feel weak fatiqued nauseas disoriented and a continual headache. Can you please advise me as to wkat to do..

An exam will help establish a diagnosis. Liver and brain spots and enlarged lymph nodes are not typically caused by defective breast implants, If they are causing you concern, you should talk with your plastic surgeon about having them removed.

Chemo?

Thanks for your questions. Chemotherapy is generally prescribed for cancer treatment. It's unclear from your question, why you're receiving chemotherapy.  Your oncologist can help you understand why they are treating you with chemotherapy.  The spots on your liver, brain and enlarged lymph nodes may not be related to your implants. Always follow your physician's recommendations. 

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Weak

You need to return to your medical doctor and discuss all your concerns. Many women feel weak after chemotherapy for a while.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Needs an exam

An exam will help establish a diagnosis. Chemo is generally for cancer treatment, not diseases. Your oncologist or immunologist can help you with your questions about your liver and  the relation to your brain spots. It sounds very serious so please question them.

It does not sound related to your breast implants either saline or the new silicone implants approved by the FDA for 2008.

Breast implants - what should I do for enlarged lymph nodes, problems with liver and brain?

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

• Unfortunately, no on-line consultation can give you advice for this.
  • It isn't clear what your diagnosis is or what treatment you are getting..
  • Liver and brain spots and enlarged lymph nodes are not typically caused by defective breast implants.
  • But if they are causing you concern, you should talk with your plastic surgeon about having them removed for your own peace of mind.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Complications from breast implants

These can be symptoms of defective breast implants.  Specifically, we see liver lesions from parasites, brain lesions from mold biotoxins, and enlarged axillary lymph nodes from silicone or intracellular infections.  Headaches, nausea and fatigue can be from Candidasis, a co infections that 100% of women with defective sililcone implants develop.  Most doctors including plastic surgeons know nothing about this disease.  T cell immunity is affected with increased risks of cancer, parasites, yeast,  mold and intracellular infections.  Treatment is total capsulectomy, antifungals, immune and endocrine support, detoxification, and treatment of coinfections.  Many patients develop symptoms if implants are not changed out in ten to fifteen years.  Some patients with mold exposure or detoxification defects develop symptoms sooner. 

Susan Kolb, MD

Health issues and breast implants

Sorry to hear about your health issues.  Though you didn't specifically ask, I'm assuming you want to know if your liver and brain lesions are related to your breast implants.  The short answer is "highly unlikely".  However, I will also say that millions of women have had breast implants placed over the past 50 years.  The vast majority have had no negative side effects.  There was controversy in the early 1990’s over the safety of silicone implants leading to a partial ban on silicone implants by the FDA.  After extensive studies, the FDA released silicone for general use in 2006 after finding that silicone and saline implants had essentially the same complication rates.  Many articles have been published over the past 20 years regarding “silicone-induced diseases”.  Likewise, articles have been published showing that silicone and saline implants are not causing diseases.   So, the “jury” is still out.  However, there is one entity that no one disputes.  Anyone can have chronic infection of a foreign body (breast implant, pacemaker, artificial joint, or any other implanted synthetic object).  Germs can live on a foreign body and secrete a “bio-film” which is like an umbrella covering them.  Therefore, antibiotics or your own natural immune system cells cannot fight this infection.  The germs live on the foreign body and give off their waste products thereby causing a whole host of symptoms such as fatigue, itching, rashes, tingling, joint pain, toxic shock syndrome, insomnia, depression, hair loss, memory loss, headaches, mood swings, etc…  The human body will typically detect there is a problem and wall off this infection with layers of scar tissue.  This makes it even harder for the immune system cells or antibiotics to attack these germs.  Therefore, the only way to clear this type of problem is by removing the foreign body and the surrounding scar tissue capsule.  Then the body’s immune system is able to clear out the remaining germs because they no longer have the foreign body on which to latch on.  However, it is important to emphasize that this may or may not cause the improvement of the symptoms.  Also, it may take months or years to fully recuperate from the damage done by the chronic infection.