Will ability to exercise eg jumping, burpees and push ups etc be restricted once fully recovered?

Hello, I wanted to ask once fully recovered and the strength is build back up will I be able to excise as before? Are there any activities you can't do? I regularly go to boxercise, spin, grit and circuit training all fairly intense cardio with jumping, press ups etc. I'm almost flat chested now and only want a natural looking B/C cup. This is my only niggling worry that they'll get in the way, be painful or stop me doing things. Thank you!

Thank you for the question. Long-term patients who undergo breast augmentation surgery (barring any complications) should be able to return to all activities with full strength. 

Timing to return to specific types of exercise will vary from one patient to another. Best to check with your plastic surgeon for specific advice. Generally, I suggest patients gradually ease back into the strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively, assuming that they are doing well and there have been no complications. Lower body exercise can generally be resumed 2 weeks postoperatively. Use common sense, listen to your body, and gradually resume previous activity. In my practice, I ask patients to avoid contact and strenuous exercise involving the pectoralis major muscles ( such as push-ups, bench press, burpees, dancing on a pole…) for at least 3-6 months. 

You may find the attached link/video helpful to you. Best wishes.

Thank you for your question.   Your board certified plastic surgeon should address this question with you.  Generally speaking the aggressive type of exercise that shoe mention should not be done for 6 weeks after breast implants are placed under the muscle.  However most patients can start lower body mild exercise at 2-3 weeks.  Of course he must follow the advice of your chosen plastic surgeon.

Activity after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I recommend my patients can return to full activity after 3 weeks and just recommend 2 sports bra with activity.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Exercise after breast augmentation

Thanks for your question. It really depends on the size implant you choose. If you go with a larger implant, the skin is going to be stretched more and you'll be carrying around additional weight. You should be able to resume any type of exercise or activity you're currently doing after breast augmentation surgery, with the caveat that you'll need to give you body time to heal after surgery. Your surgeon will be your best resource as you start to heal in terms of clearing you to return to specific activities. I usually recommend no heaving lifting or strenuous activity (e.g., training for a race or competition) for at least 6 weeks after surgery. Light aerobic activity is usually fine after 3 weeks. Good luck!  

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Activity

If you don't chose overly big and heavy implants, you should be able to go back to all of your activities once you have healed. Most women can return to full activities by 6 weeks.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

For my patients, I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6-8 weeks following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast augmentation and activity restrictions

In my practice, I restrict lifting any objects greater than 5 pounds for 6 weeks if under the muscle or 3 weeks if above. By the same token, the exercises that you have described can be performed after 6 weeks if the implants were placed under the muscle or at 3 weeks of above the muscle. Having said that, every practice is different, and as such I would recommend deferring to your plastic surgeon regarding what his or her restrictions for you will be.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Exercising after Breast Implants #breastimplants #breastaugmentation

• Once you are fully recovered from your breast augmentation, you should still be able to engage in all the exercise and training that you are doing now.
  • I typically allow my breast augmentation patients to return to all of their normal activities one month after their operation. 
  • This doesn't mean that you won't still have some occasional soreness at one month, but by then you don't have to worry about hurting the results of your operation. 
  • Best of luck to you!

Physical Activity after Breast Augmentation / Breast Implants

There are usually no restrictions after 6 weeks for my patients.  You may need to modify your exercise routine specifically for certain exercises such as cleans where you will have to modify your technique as not to strike your breasts.  I have patients who are professional body builders and also many crossfitters who have returned to activities without any issues.  As long as you wait the time recommended by your surgeon prior to returning to physical activity you should have no issues.  Best of luck

Raymond Jean MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Bryn Mawr, Philadelphia, PA

Raymond Jean, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

I usually instruct my patient not to carry anything heavier than 15lbs for at least 2 full weeks and return gradually to regular activity level at 4 weeks. Once you are Fully Recovered you can go back to your daily routines. 

Best of Luck !!