Please help me I HATE Botox!

2 months ago I got 30 units of Botox injected to each side of jaw and it look horrible as of one month ago! My face is all sunken in on my cheeks, eyes, temples etc. and my jawline I use to love is gone and it's all saggy skin. Please when will this go away and is there anything I can do(microcurrent facials, working out) anything to get this Botox out ASAP. I look so bad please help me.

Botox and Facial Sagging?

30 units of Botox injected into each masseter muscle should not be causing all those changes to your face. Botox effects are usually localized. Perhaps another procedure or additional injections were done? You should return to your injector for follow-up. If indeed Botox is the culprit, the effect should wear off in 3-6 months. 

Sacramento Physician

Botox for the masseter

Thank you for your question calig3211. I am sorry to hear about your experience. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. It can also be placed in the lower face to address the masseter muscle which can give the lower face a square appearance. Most people enjoy the results of their Botox treatment for three to four months. At that time the changes associated with Botox should be back to the baseline pre-treatment. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Help for Bad Botox

Hi Calig,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Botox in your masseter muscles (jaw).  There are some things that you can do to help your concerns.  Microcurrent facials will help stimulate muscles to increase facial tone, but they need to be done daily to be effective.  Strategically placed Voluma will give you immediate lifting and improvement.  Working out is good for you, but will not shorten the 3 to 4 months that it will take for the Botox to stop working.  Sculptra injections are an excellent treatment to restore your facial volume.  Ultherapy is an excellent skin and muscle lifting, tightening one time long lasting treatment. If you are still very unhappy with your facial appearance, you should consult with an aesthetic physician who is an injection expert.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox dissatisfaction

Botox takes 3-4 months to wear off. It sounds like you had injections for something you did not want. Next time be sure you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox and Results

Unfortunately, Botox takes 3-4 months to resolve. For future treatments I suggest consulting with a board certified dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer

Botox for masseters causing facial sagging

Botox injected into the masseters reduces masseter bulk/size. However, in patients over the age of 40, this injection may cause some sagginess as the masseter may help fill in the lower face in patients with age related volume loss. 

The Botox will wear off over the course of 3-4 months. Nothing you can do to expedite the time frame. Sorry, to hear about your experience. 

Unhappy after botox treatment

Botox wears off after about three months so the muscle treated will start working again shortly. It seems extremely unusual for a single Botox treatment to have such a drastic result. Please post before and after photos of your treatment for further advise.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox will wear off in 3-4 months

The Botox is doing exactly what it was meant to do to reduce the bulk of your masseter muscle if it was being injected "to each side of jaw". As the masseter atrophies the overlying soft tissue will sag. There is nothing you can do to make the Botox wear off faster. It will take 3-4 months.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with Botox injection

I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the results of your Botox injection.  The concerns that you're describing -- sunken cheeks, eyes, temples, etc -- tend to be better treated with fillers rather than Botox.  I'd recommend discussing your concerns with your injector.  Fortunately, the results of Botox are not permanent and you can expect to fully return to your pre-procedure appearance in 3 to 4 months.  Best of luck.

Chaneve Jeanniton, MD
Brooklyn Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox effects do wear off

I am sorry your experience with Botox has been bad. Unfortunately, at this point there is nothing to do but wait until it wears off. You should start to see an improvement after another month and within a few weeks after that, you should be back to baseline

all the best

Dr Soni

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician