Would botox soften my jaw line? (Photo)

Hi! I have an odd jawline, it is more square shaped and larger/uneven on one side as you can see from the photos. I am wondering if Botox will soften my jawline and give a more oval appearance or any other options I have to soften the jawline and make it more feminine looking. Also could it be uneven from possibly chewing more on one side or having my wisdom teeth in still? Thank you!!

Botox for masseter

This depends on whether your masseter muscle is making your jawline look square, but from your photos I wouldn’t say it’s “odd". If the cause is your masseter muscle, then they may bulk up from excessive use (chewing). Botox can help relax it and soften the contour.

If it’s something else, then another treatment may be more suitable. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would help you determine the cause and the appropriate treatment.

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

Fillers, implants and fat can all be used to sculpt and contour the face. Botox is commonly used to reshape the jawline.  VASER and ThermiRF are best for jawline surgically and kybella can be used nonsurgically.  I suggest consulting with a facial sculpting expert for further evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Can Botox soften the jawline?

Yes! It certainly can, to a point. The appearance of your jawline depends on the shape of your jawbone and the muscle of chewing that sits on the outside of the bone. Botox can cause the muscle to atrophy a bit (not enough to have trouble with chewing) which will contour your face. Be warned, it can take A LOT of Botox and you likely need multiple treatments to achieve the effect you desire. Good luck!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would #Botox soften my jaw line?

Most likely yes. The asymmetry could either be due to excess bulk of the masseter muscle on that side or might be related to your underlying jaw structure. If it's muscle then you're a good candidate for Botox. If it's bone then Botox will not create much improvement in symmetry. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for More Feminine Jawline?

First off, your jawline is not "odd!" Nearly everyone has some asymmetry and a "square" jawline is in the range of normal, even for women. Having said that, you'd like a change. If your square jawline is due to bone, Botox will not help. You'd have to undergo orthognathic (jaw) surgery to get the result you want. If the squareness of your jaw is due to the masseter muscle, Botox could help -- 25-35 units on each side every 3-6 months with longer in between injections as time goes on. You may want to consider getting a biteguard (customized from a dentist) if your masseter muscle is enlarged due to jaw clenching at night. This could help the issue from becoming worse in conjunction with Botox to help soften your jawline.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Botox for Jawline Shaping

Enlargement of the clench muscles (masseter muscles) of the lower jaw is common. Overuse of the clench muscles often occurs during sleep, and therefore reoccurs every night.
Botox can reduce the intensity of the clenching and, with repeated use, can cause the masseter muscles to get smaller due to atrophy. In my clinic, I have never seen problems with speech or eating with my Botox protocol.
Injectable fillers are often added to balance the overall shape of the face, after the masseter muscles have reduced in appearance.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and jawline

I think you would probably get some benefit from Botox for the jawline and also decrease the masseter. it is difficult to tell from the photos and I suggest you get a good evaluation from an experienced board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Depends - difficult to answer

You have a very square jaw and a long lower 1/3 of your face.  What the cause of this is difficult to state without an examination.  If you have large masseter muscles (place your hand at the back of your jaw and bite down - this is the masseter muscle) then Botox would definitely help.  However, you might want to find out the cause of the large masseter muscle - for instance people that clench their teeth have a higher incidence - this might be habit or due to a dental issue.

However, if your square jaw is the result of bony abnormality - don't waste your money on botox.  My recommendation is to get to the reason that you have a square jaw.  I would suggest consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and not an esthetic surgeon and/or an oral surgeon.  Good luck.

Botox for facial contouring

The photos are limited and I really recommend an in person evaluation with an aesthetic specialist. That being said, combination treatments with Botox and fillers can be used to contour and shape the face. For example, injecting filler in the midface and Botox in the masseters can help convert a square face to an oval face. 

Shaun Patel, MD
Miami Physician

Can Botox help my square jawline?

Yes, Botox may benefit you.  I would recommend that youhave consultation and examination.  If the doctor determines that you have no abnormality he may recommend Botox.  The Botox will be injected into the muscle after he determines the site with palpation.  

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon