How much of a vial of Botox is used per procedure?

I have a clarification question, and I'd like some input from some doctors out there: Botox comes in 100 unit vials. Let's say that one procedure consists of one or more injections at one injection site, say, the glabellar folds. What I'm trying to understand, is how much of that 100 unit vial you'd use for one procedure, on average? Thanks!

How much Botox is used depends on the area

Thank you for your question lfed. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Botox comes in 50 or 100 unit vials and different amounts can be used in different areas. The pivotal studies demonstrated that patients will enjoy their results for 3-4 months with a dose of 20 units in the glabella and 24 units (12 units per side) in the crows feet. There are no studies for other areas. But based on my experience and assessment of the patient I estimate how much can be used in other areas. In the lower face smaller doses are used. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox Injections

Great question! Botox is typically priced per unit and the number of units needed varies from person to person. Some offices price Botox per area, but patients run the risk of paying for product that they don’t need. By pricing it per unit, patients only end up paying for the Botox needed to get their desired result and the physician can completely customize the treatment based on the patient’s individual needs. The amount of Botox required to treat a particular area can differ depending on the size and depth of the wrinkles being injected. I recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon who can meet you in person and determine exactly how many units they recommend for you. Best of luck!

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Varies by technique and concentration

How much Botox is used in a particular areas depends on technique, concentration and personal preference.  That said, most surgeons us 20-25 units for the glabella.  I prefer 25 units.  In the forehead I tend to use 15 units  and in crow's feet 10-12.5 units per side. I have attached a link below.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Great question

Ifed,
That's a great question.  Glabellar folds respond very well to botox.  Some offices charge you by the "unit" which is for every 1/100th of that vial.  I don't like that system for it makes you stress about how much you're using and you may not get the treatment you need.  We treat you to your satisfaction. Meaning, if glabellar folds are the issue, we charge you to treat those regardless of how much botox is used.

Jeffrey H. Spiegel, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

How much Botox to use

First of all Botox is not generally used to treat nasolabial folds.  the usual dose for frown lines is 20 units, forehead 20 units or more, crow's feet 8-12 units etc

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

BOTOX units

The number of units used on a particular patient can vary considerably between patients.
Within my own practice, I have some patients who are sensitive to the effects of BOTOX with small muscles who may only require 9-12 units in the glabella.
I also have some patients who need more than 50 units in the same area, ie, more than 5 times the dose.
The important thing to understand is that dosing is individual.

Tapan Patel, MBBS
London Physician

The Amount of Botox used per Area

I am not sure why you are worried about this as it has no effect on treatment. Essentially every injector uses the vial for multiple patients by always drawing the Botox using a new syringe and needle. The amount of Botox used per area varies from patient to patient and between injectors. Some injectors use the smallest amount necessary to paralyze the muscles in the area, where others inject a larger amount. Recent studies has shown that increasing the amount used prolongs the effect. Each person will also require different amounts. At the first injection we estimate what will be required by the amount of muscle function and size. Some people have only a corrugated muscle in the glabella while others also have a procerus. The latter will need more Botox. Other areas also require different amounts to achieve paralysis. Good injectors always record exactly what and where they inject and see you back if you do not get the desired effect. They can, then, adjust the amount used and where it is placed. Make sure you see a physician with many years experience in using Botox to assure you get the optimal result. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Average Botox Dosage Per Treatment Area

Thank you for your question.  The total amount of Botox required for optimal results depends on an assessment of your muscle activity and your goals and expectations.  In general, the recommended Botox dosage for each of the commonly treated areas is as follows:
glabellar area 20 units 
forehead 15-20 units 
crow's feet 15 units 
chemical brow lift 5-10 units 
vertical lip lines 5-10 units 
pebble chin 5-10 units 
platysmal bands 10 units/band 
Please keep in mind that some patients may require more than the lowest recommended dosage for optimal results.  Please be sure to see an experienced injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Best wishes! 

Botox Vials

Botox comes in 50 unit and 100 unit vials. Although there is a standard way to reconstitute/dilute Botox, doctors may differ in how they dilute Botox. In the end, what's important is how many UNITS are injected for treatment in a certain area, not how much was there at the beginning or how the dilution was done. Standard (FDA-approved) number of units for the glabella is 20. Some individuals may need more, however, up to 35 units, if they have really strong muscles in that area. Beware of injectors that charge "per area." That does not tell you how many units were injected. Always know how many units were injected into your body. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

How much Botox for the glabella?

I typically use around 15 units of Botox to treat the glabella area.  Every patient is different though, so I pay careful attention to their features and tailor the treatment to their face.  I hope that helps.

Chaneve Jeanniton, MD
Brooklyn Oculoplastic Surgeon