Why do chemical peels make you purge and in how many days can you see your skin normal again after the peel?
Doctor Answers 3
Purge usually means flushing out the digestive track.
Healing of skin peels
- To be sure I understand the question, by purge you have in mind the shedding of the skin?
- Skin shedding depends on the peel depth.
- Glycolic and other no-down time peels do not cause skin shedding and no healing time.
- TCA peels go deeper, and skin peels usually in 10 - 14 days.
- Phenol peels go even deeper - the skin does not peel, healing takes about 14 days and skin remains reddened for months
- Please see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon for advice on the appropriate peel for you skin and skin condition
- Please do not do an at-home TCA peel.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes
There are all different strengths and types of chemical peels. You need to discuss with your treating physician before your peel what type and how long the recovery is. Some peels can peel a week or more. It is best to consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise in chemical peels for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green
You might also like...
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.