Bulbous nose - I have a bulbous and flat nose a bit in the wide side. (photo)

Is it possible to only reduce the bulbousness and sharpen the tip a bit ? (I know i am not using right terms, bear with me) . I don't want to have a super narrow nose - I still want it to look "Asian" but a bit more sharp .

Asian Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. It is certainly possible to reduce the bulbous nose and sharpen the tip via a Rhinoplasty procedure. I suggest that you consult with a single or double board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian rhinoplasty can address a bulbous nose

Hi, thanks for your question.

A bulbous nose can be treated very successfully with Asian rhinoplasty. The soft tissues of the tip are usually very thick, so aggressive debulking or excision of the soft tissues may be needed to give definition to the tip. Also, the nasal tip is supported by nasal cartilages, which in the Asian nose, has a more upward axis than that seen in the Caucasian nose. A bulbous nose is thus the result of the bulk as well as the arrangement of the nasal cartilage in Asians. To refine such a nose, these will be carefully trimmed and in more severe cases rearranged with techniques that maintain the function of the cartilages while reducing the fullness of the nasal tip.

The general outline of an Asian nose is more of an isosceles triangle compared with a Caucasian nose. The base and bridge of the Asian nose tends to be wider, while the length of the Asian nose (from nasion to tip) is slightly shorter. Maintaining this shape when performing Asian rhinoplasty is key to achieving successful results where the nose still looks as if it is ethnically in balance with the overall facial features. It would be best for you to consult with a board certified surgeon and have computer imaging done so you can see what your nose will look like after surgery, should you decide to have this procedure

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Bulbous nose to be refined and narrowed

Dear hongyuhreum,

• It is very possible to make the nose look cuter while still looking Asian
  • You would also have to narrow the nasal bones to match your new tip
  • When you are ready, visit a few rhinoplasty specialists who can address all of your concerns

Dr. Nima

Nima Shemirani, MD

Asian Rhinoplasty for bulbous Asian nose

Reshaping the nose during Asian rhinoplasty does require a great deal of technical expertise, but is something that is done frequently by a rhinoplasty specialist experienced with Asian noses. Based on your photos you will be able to achieve the changes you seek by using grafts from your own body (rib cartilage, fascia) to augment your bridge, refine your tip, and reduce the size of your ala.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip reduction

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish reduction of the bulbous tip with a combination of suture techniques and conservative cartilage removal.  Most patients must undergo a full rhinoplasty to make sure all the components of the nose balance with themselves and the entire new nose balances with the patient's facial features.

Asian Rhinoplasty - Is It Possible To Get Tip Refinement Without Getting A Super Narrow Nose?

The short answer to your question is YES.

Tip refinement very often is the major, if not only, portion of the Asian nose that needs surgical enhancement.  It has been my experience that part of the reason for the flat tip on Asian noses is due to a short collumella, that little piece of skin that separates the two nostrils. 

To improve the appearance of the tip, in my practice, I take cartilage from the ear and place it in the collumella to stretch it out.  This also, if placed correctly, will give a single point of light on the tip of the nose which is much more aesthetically pleasing than a broad flat tip.  Partial resection of lower lateral cartilages can often thin that portion of the nose that flares out toward the cheek.  Finally, wedge resection to narrow the nostril flare is very often done, but this at times leaves a flat lean-to effect which can be corrected by a cerclage suture through the upper lip.  This was first described by Dr. Ron Gruber of Oakland, California. 

I recommend you contact at least two or three of the excellent Board Certified plastic surgeons in the LA area who show before and after pictures of well done Asian rhinoplasties on their websites.

Refining a Bulbous Tip

Refining the nasal tip is a very common request.  The best recommendation is to consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek. 3-dimensional computer imaging can also help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Bulbous Tip and Flat Nose

A  bulbous tip can be narrowed and better defined by changing the contour of the tip cartilages and projection increased an maintained with small cartilage grafts. The flat nose you describe can also be narrowed but this one picture does not show that problem. I need to see a full set of pictures for nasal evaluation as described on my website. You will not have a "super narrow nose" if your surgery is done by a rhinoplasty specialist.