Bad Results from Botox - Permanent Damage?

I had botox injected too closely around the eye or too low on the brow, which has caused severe under eye bags and water retention around the eye area. This bad injecting has created wrinkles and under eye bags that were never there. I read online this is because the eye muscle isn't moving to release fluid in the orbital area, creating puffiness. I know botox will go away in 3-4 months, but I am concerned this horrible result lasting 3-4 months could cause permanent wrinkling/sagging.

Your BOTOX® results are temporary and will wear off.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with BOTOX®. I don’t know where you received your injections or from whom, but your case really drives home the importance of only working with experienced, professional BOTOX® injectors who have an in-depth understanding of facial anatomy and are judicious with their dosage. Although unfortunate, your results are certainly temporary, and the wrinkles and under-eye bags that you’re currently dealing with should resolve within 3 to 4 months. You won’t have to worry about any permanent wrinkling or sagging. Best of luck to you.

New York General Surgeon

From a safety standpoint, one of the best features of Botox is that its effects are always temporary.  It works by relaxing muscles and in 3-4 months your muscles will begin to regain bulk as they begin to "work out" once again after the Botox has worn off. 

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox results and side effects resolve after 3-4 months

Thank you for your question Anna B. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox can be used around the eyes to address the crows feet. Both results and side effects from Botox resolve after three to four months. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Bad Results from Botox

you for your question. You are correct that, in some cases, you can experience
puffiness under the eyes because those muscles are not moving to release the
fluid. This side effect is most common in individuals who have a history of
allergies. However, this should not cause permanent wrinkling and/or sagging. I
recommend that patients who are experiencing this side effect after injections
take antihistamines to reduce inflammation. Before you start any medications,
consult with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to make sure it
is safe for you. If you are concerned that the injections were done improperly,
make sure that you see an experienced injector who is either a board certified
dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Botox only lasts 3-4 Months

Botox only lasts 3-4 months and these effects you are experiencing will subside in time.  There is no permanent damage that can be caused by Botox.  Be patient and in time this will soften.  Try sleeping with your head elevated as this may help with the water retention around your eyes for the time being. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox results and permanent damage

Sorry to hear about your experience. The Botox will wear off in 3-4 months and you will not have any permanent wrinkling/sagging from the injection. Your face will return to baseline. I would discuss your results with any injector prior to future Botox injections.

Permanent damage is unlikely

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear you had an unsatisfactory result following your Botox treatment. The good news is that any side effects you may be experiencing from this Botox treatment will resolve when the Botox wears off, which for most people is in 3-4 months.
I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck.

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Results

Yes, the botox will wear off in 3-4 months and you will be back to normal without long term issues.  Best, Dr. Emer

Bad Botox results will improve

Nothing about Botox is permanent. If you have pre-existing problems with eye bags, Botox can make it worse in certain cases. I like to not go as low in these cases and this prevents the problem. You are right, the muscle tension is needed in some folks to help pump the lymphatic drainage away from the eye. Good news is that this should improve back to normal as the Botox wears off.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Side effecs of Botox

Although you currently do not have the expected result you need not be concerned. there will be no permanent adverse effects and the problems will gradually wear off

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist