Should you get botox to the forehead after a stroke?

Is it ok to have forehead botox after a stroke, there is no residual weakness however when fatigued I notice a slight drooping

Botox after a stroke

Thank you for your question stanley102. Botox is a great treatment for wrinkles on the face. Since Botox affects the nerves it is not recommended with certain neurological conditions such as Lambert-Eaton syndrome, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gherig's disease), or myasthenia gravis. I have never treated a patient who has had a stroke with Botox. I recommend consulting with your cosmetic doctor and neurologist for specific advice. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox after a Stroke

There are no rules against using Botox after a stroke.  You may be at slightly higher risk for subtle symmetry differences due to the resting muscle tone of the muscle that was involved.  An physician injector are much more likely to have experience with patients in your situation and be comfortable treating you.  Best be evaluated by an experienced MD injector.
Best of luck

Botox injection after stroke

I see no reason why you should not get Botox injection to the forehead after a stroke. Actually, we often use Botox in patients with facial paralysis to improve facial symmetry. I would, however, recommend an in-person consultation with an experienced injector. It is very important that your face be evaluated at rest and with expression prior to injection.

Botox can help

Botox can help.
Generally it would be placed into the stronger side to balance the weakness after the stroke.
Small doses by and experienced injector would be necessary.

Botox after stroke

Unless you are completely recovered without any residual neuropathy and the event was at least 6 months ago, I would advise against it.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox after a stroke

There is no inherent problem with using Botox after a stroke. However, depending on the status of the muscles in your forehead and the nerves controlling them your dose and location of injections would need to be customized accordingly. I would recommend starting with a low dose at first. Botox can also help improve asymmetry after a stroke if any is present. 

Good luck! 

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Botox after a stroke

Thank you for asking about your Botox.

• First check with your neurologist to be sure it's ok.
  • Then if her/his approval - yes, you can have Botox.
  • Be sure that a physician treats you and that the first treatment uses a low dose -
  • Your nerves may be very sensitive even to small doses.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Botox to forehead after stroke

I would not see a problem with having a Botox treatment to the forehead after having had a stroke, but it is possible that Botox could cause some drooping of the brows.  The placement and dose of the Botox used would influence if there was some brow drooping or not.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon