Advice on Celebrex post BREAST Augmentation

My BA is in 2 weeks and a doctor I really trust recommended taking Celebrex the day of and then days following my breast augmentation to help with swelling and pain (im a big baby). I know anything that can thin blood is frowned upon. Is it okay to start Celebrex the day of surgery... The day after...? Can anyone advise? Thanks!

Celebrex used routinely in my patients

and is given prior to the procedure.  Post-op, less costly anti-inflammatories are used once it is clear you are not having any issues with bleeding.  I like narcotics for the 'bad' pains but use of anti-inflammatories help you get off of them sooner than later and avoid some of the side effects of narcotic use. 

NSAIDs Work Well for Breast Augmentation Discomfort

I have not prescribed narcotic pain medicine for breast augmentation for many years, but instead prefer Motrin. Celebrex is another great medication that works well.  It is true that they all inhibit platelets, however there is no evidence that it increases your risk of bleeding or bruising.  This has been my experience too. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Celebrex and Breast augmentation

I typically do not prescribe Celebrex to my Breast Augmentation patients immediately after surgery. It is reasonable to take this medication after 5 days. I typically use a long acting medication that is injected at the time of breast surgery that usually lasts for 2-3 days. After this time Tylenol 3 is all that is required. I have found this combination to work nicely for my patients for pain control.  Each plastic surgeon has his or her own philosophy and recommendations. I encourage you to trust your plastic surgeon regarding this issue.

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Celebrex after Breast Augmentation

I routinely suggest Celebrex for inflammatory discomfort following breast surgery starting several days after the procedure.  For the first days, a narcotic pain reliever is more effective.

Your doctor can also use a long-lasting local anesthetic to keep you comfortable.  These local anesthetics are the most effective and rarely have side effects.  I would suggest discussing this option with your doctor.

Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Options for swelling and pain control after breast augmentation should include Celebrex

Personally, I think Celebrex is a wonderful drug for breast augmentation surgery.  It is non-narcotic, so you avoid all of the problems that we have with narcotics, plus it's a really good pain reliever, having an indication from the FDA for acute dental pain even.  It is also an anti-inflammatory drug, so that in addition to the pain relief action like you get with narcotics, it also can help control inflammation and swelling.  This may have added benefits in fighting the forces that lead to capsule contracture too.  Being a COX-2 inhibitor type of anti-inflammatory, it will not have the same effects on platelets as the COX-1 inhibitors like aspirin and Motrin will have, thus it is safe to take even right after surgery.  I have many colleagues who use this exclusively as an analgesic after surgery, foregoing the narcotics completely.  I use Celebrex with regularity, but I don't use it exclusively for a number of reasons.  First, it is very expensive, and most insurance companies don't cover it under their prescription plan.  Many patients don't want the added cost of the drug and opt for cheaper alternatives.  If the insurance company does cover it, the process for getting it approved is so onerous that most of the time we just punt and don't bother with it.  In addition to this, Celebrex is a sulfa drug, and therefore those people with known (or unknown) allergies to sulfa will react to it and can't take it.  Sometimes it's just easier to avoid the potential risks of that and just use narcotics since the period of pain after breast augmentation is relatively brief and well-tolerated.  In any event, the use of Celebrex is a judgment call between you and your doctor, but I think it's a fine judgment to make if you decide to use it.  Just be sure that your surgeon is on board and that he or she is the one prescribing it after surgery if you are going to take it.  It's never good practice to take the recommendation of another doctor you know and leave your surgeon out of the loop.  Good luck.

Celebrex and breast augmentation

Hi, Ballet22.  I usually do not prescribe Celbrex after breast augmentation.  Every plastic surgeon differs in our post-operative care/instruction.  Please follow your plastic surgeon's recommendation.  Good luck with surgery and recovery. Best regards.

Celebrex and breast augmentation

I do not routinely recommend Celebrex to patients. It is in a class of anti-inflammatories that should not increase the risk of bleeding.

Trust your surgeon

I don't use Celebrex for my patients but each surgeon has their own beliefs in what they feel will optimize your outcome.  So much of what we do is based on personal experience or shared belief.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Celebrex and surgery

Celebres is a "cox-2 inhibitor".  As such, it is not a traditional non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication like aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, etc, which inhibit the normal function of platelets.  Thus, Celebrex should be alright to use, although I do not have patients take Celebrex.  You should stick with your surgeon's instructions, since they are the one responsible for your care and address any concerns you have with them.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Celebrex after breast augmentation

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, you really should ask your PS. It is clear that you will get different opinions from different surgeons. So you need to get the opinion of your PS.

I hope you found this helpful.