5 Days post Juvederm in Lips-- No bruising, but lips still swollen and sore, moreso than two days ago. (Photo)

I had Juveerm injected 5 days ago, and didn't swell all that much. The swelling has seemed to fluctuate. Last night, I noticed they were sore, and I had developed a slight skin irritation on my lips. They also seemed more swollen than the day prior. This morning I woke up to no change in my symptoms. Could I be having a reaction? Could this be due to the fact that I drank alcohol last night? When should I be worried?

Juvederm Lip and Swelling

Juvederm can swell up to two weeks after your injections. i would ice and take antihistamines for the swelling and wait to see the final results.  Please consult a specialist for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Post injections to lips

Post Juvederm injections you can swell up to two weeks after. Alcohol increases swelling. For you to still be swollen sounds normal but always consult with your physician if you are concerned. As far as the skin irritation I would suggest seeing your surgeon to make sure you are not having a reaction. I hope this helps. 

Lee B. Daniel, MD
Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Lip Swelling After Fillers

If you are unhappy reverse the fillers.  Pain and swelling are normal for a few weeks after injection and will go away more quickly with icing and oral antihistamines.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip swelling after Juvederm

I would ice them and take a Benadryl. If the swelling worsens or persists, see your doc right away. As the other docs said there is a slight chance it's oils be herpetic in nature. Best of luck. 

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon

Five Days Post Juvederm Inflammation

Dear curiousci, The swelling is most likely not related to alcohol however on occasions Juvederm injections to the lip can activate a herpetic infection which needs to be treated with an anti-viral medication. See your injecting surgeon for follow up and he/she will be able to provide a proper diagnosis. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Lip swelling worsening after Juvederm

It's possible that the injection activated a herpetic infection. It needs to be seen by your doc. Swelling should gradually subside not worsen. A high salt intake might make lips swell a bit but probably not alcohol.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Swelling of lips after Juvederm

The swelling will go down. The final results will be apparent in 2-3 weeks. Consult your doctor if the swelling gets worse or if there are open lesions. It does not look like a herpetic flare.

Dr H Karamanoukian
#RealSelf100 Member

Juvederm - lips swollen and more more tan at first

Thank you for asking about your lip Juvederm.

I suspect the injection activated a herpes lip infection.
Your doctor should see you and probably will prescribe an anti-viral.
It is unlikely to be related to alcohol.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.