How Long is Recovery for a Tummy Tuck and Brazilian Butt Lift Combo?

im a dental assistant, i dont stand too much but i do move around alot and i only have 12 days to return to work after the procedure.

i had my gallbladder removed in 07 i got it removed on a thur and went back to work on a mon even thought they were small incisions and i was sore i did fine. is it possible that i may be able to return as a dental assistant after 12 days?

The recovery experienced after any given operation will vary significantly from one patient to another; for example, some patients need two to three days of postoperative pain medications; some patients require several weeks of pain medications. Much may depend on exactly what procedures performed, pain control measures taken, patients' pain threshold/personality characteristics…
The tummy tuck operation is a relatively extensive operation that involves an underestimated physical, and often emotional recovery time. For most patients's the recovery period ranges from 2 to 4 weeks. However, even at the one month post op mark, patients are not 100% back to full strength/stamina.
Since you considering undergoing a major operation which again involves a significant physical AND emotional recovery ( often underestimated by surgeons and patients alike), a few words of advice may be helpful:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Tummy Tuck and Brazilian Butt Lift Recovery

Today’s rapid recovery techniques combined with the NO Drain technique should allow you to get back to work within about a week to 10 days.Patients who have the rapid recovery protocol are usually out doing things the next day.You will be a little sore when you are sitting but this part of your planned surgery is really pretty minor.

I have added a video and web reference regarding a rapid recovery tummy tuck.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

How long is the Recovery from a Tummy Tuck and a Brazilian Butt Lift?

Thank you for your question. It is recommended to have each procedure is performed separately for best results. In my practice the Brazilian Butt Lift is performed first and patients are able to be back to work after the first week without heavy lifting or sitting on their buttocks. At 12 days of recovery it would be fine to be back to work. As to the Tummy Tuck recovery, it is normal to be back to work at 2 weeks if its light work. And no heavy lifting for 4 weeks.  

Two week recovery after tummy tuck and Brazilian butt lift.

Hi.

You have to be clear about what we mean by recovery. In two weeks after tummy tuck and Brazilian butt lift, you will be able to function, but you will not feel normal for one month.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy tuck and bbl - best as staged procedures

Thank your for your question. A tummy tuck can address the skin and muscle laxity of the abdominal region as well as reducing the excess fatty tissue. A brazilian butt lift helps to shape the buttock by borrowing fat from one part (or several) and transferring this fat to another. They are both extremely rewarding procedures. The best approach for a patient who wants to have both procedures is to stage them and possibly start with the BBL. Here is why:
1) A brazilian butt lift is transferring fat from one area to the buttock. One common donor area is the tummy. Once the fat is transferred, you need to keep pressure off the buttock as this allows new blood supply to develop to the newly grafted fat cells. Any stress such as pressure can reduce the efficacy of this process and hence you may lose some fat. Hence, no sitting or laying on your bottom for ~2 weeks.
2) A tummy tuck is removing excess skin and tightening the muscle as well as remove extra fat. To make the skin removal efficient and protect the incision, you surgeon will often remove skin while your hips are flexed. You will need to maintain this position after surgery for about a week. This will required you to sleep in a recliner position for a good week. In addition, l often combine liposuction of the abdomen and flanks as part of this procedure and once this fat is removed, it cannot be stored for the brazilian buttock lift in the future.
Since the recovery process for these two popular procedures compete, I would recommend staging them. If you are surgeon is needing as much donor areas to recruit as much fat as possible, then I would start with the brazilian buttock lift so you can use the abdominal and flank regions as donor areas.  Most people will need ~2 weeks before returning to work depending on the type of work they do.

Return to work

The ability for you to return to work will likely depend on the tummy tuck.  It is possible to return in your time frame but you will be tired and sore.

Michael Philbin, MD
Edina Plastic Surgeon

10 days to 2 weeks

Typically most patients are able to return to work 10-14 days after an abdominoplasty. You will still need to recover for several weeks and avoid vigorous abominal exercising for at least 6 weeks until the muscle repair is strong enough to withstand the stress.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift and Tummy Tuck combo

Hi there-

There are two big issues here....

First, I would never personally perform this combination of procedures at the same time, for a multitude of reasons...

1. Recovery positioning for the two is mutually exclusive
  2. Using the meticulous technique required to achieve success with the Brazilian Butt Lift technique, combined with the length of time it takes to do a tummy tuck (even in the speediest of hands) will simply make the operation too long and significantly elevate your risks.
  3. If it is safe to assume that you are pursuing plastic surgery because you wish to look your very best, I think it is irresponsible of a surgeon to offer you this combination, and foolhardy of you to pursue it.
    • My strong opinion is that in order to achieve the very best outcome from a tummy tuck procedure, you will need to be in positions during and after the surgery that are simply not possible after a BBL.
    • I feel equally strongly that in order to achieve the very best outcome from a BBL, you will need to do things and be in positions after surgery that a tummy tuck would make impossible.

If you were my patient I would absolutely refuse to do this- my reputation depends on achieving the very best outcomes in the safest manner possible, and this combination spells trouble in every way.

After surgery, when you are unhappy with your outcomes because it was not a good plan to begin with, will you be appeased because you got to have the two procedures together? I don't think so... You're going to wish you had done things right and gotten a better outcome... or avoided a complication....

With regard to returning to work, I do have some patients that return to non-labor-intensive jobs 12 days after a tummy tuck, or 12 days after a BBL.

Remember- the goal of the surgery is NOT to simply DO IT, but to have it be SAFE, and to achieve the OUTCOME YOU DREAM OF.

You need to make the decisions that are going to maximize your safety and chances of ending up happy...

Recovery and Activity Following a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Hello! Thank you for your question! I hope that these answers help! Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure. Given your desires, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly. Also, abdominal wall tightening may optimize your result. Stretch marks to the level of your umbilicus will also be excised. I would highly recommend continued diet and exercise prior to any consideration for body contouring as getting down to your ideal weight prior to the procedure will certainly give you the best results. Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle will be needed in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you.

You should consult with a plastic surgeon at anytime to go over options to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you. I typically recommend a 6 week period of no strenuous activity/vigorous exercise along with an abdominal binder for the same time period. It usually takes 6-12 weeks for full healing and swelling to subside before results final. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD