Can I avoid having an anchor tummy tuck? (Photo)

I consulted with a Dr, and he suggested that I get an anchor tummy tuck, I know I have a vertical scar already but is there anyway I can just get a regular tummy tuck, the recovery seems so harder, thanks

Incisions For Abdominoplasty

Thank you for your question and photo. The vertical scar you have could be somewhat reduced and revised to be a smaller, thinner, less visible vertical scar. This may not be a necessary incision, but could ensure no excess skin at the sides. The recovery time/difficulty should not be harder with this additional vertical incision but will improve the appearance of the scar you have. Be sure to seek a board certified Plastic Surgeon with plenty of expertise in this area.

All the best

Recovery is same for regular and anchor tummy tuck

Thank you Shelby for the  posting photograph

Anchor lipoabdominoplasty will  give you far better aesthetic result.  Residual vertical  scar can be revised and  horizontal excess skin can be excised simultaneously . will give better waist line defination

Milan Doshi, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar

Thank you for your question and posting an appropriate picture. It seems that you are a good candidate for a lateral tension abdiminiolasty without a need for a vertical scar. However, it may make sense to have your scar revised at the time of surgery which will not increase your recovery. You would need to have a consultation for precise recommendations.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Tummytuck with Vertical Scar

I appreciate your concern, but it appears from your photo that you would benefit from a vertical scar component to your horizontal Tummytuck scar because the scar already present is not very good, and might be improved by excision and closure at the time of your tummytuck. It will also allow your surgeon to gather in and resect redundant skin from your hip region. Most importantly, it should not change your recovery compared to just horizontal scar. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
In this regard, I'm totally agree with you, therefore i recommend you a Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).

God bless you,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.- 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Can I avoid having an anchor tummy tuck

I do not think the recovery will be any different between those two choices and I think the vertical incision in addition to the horizontal one will ultimately give you a superior result

Julio Garcia, MD

I love the anchor TT -- the recovery I think is easier with it. You should have a great result. Dont fret the small stuff.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Fleur-de-Lis Tummy Tuck

Truthfully the recovery is not appreciably different with these 2 techniques. You are a candidate for both. If you prefer to avoid the midline scar, then tell your surgeon you don't want it. Your end result may have some upper abdominal looseness but as long as you are aware, you should do just great! Best wishes. 

Can I avoid having an anchor tummy tuck?

But your old scar will need to be cut out and redone so that the skin will stretch and your surgeon will be able to get out as much skin as possible. If you aren't convinced then I'd suggest being examined by a second surgeon for another opinion.

You already have the scar

there is little difference in recovery from a skin incision making an anchor or only a transverse scar. The painful portion of the TT is the muscle repair, which you will also need in addition to lipo contouring. Bc you already have the vertical, there is no way to get rid of that vertical component of the scar.