How Long Does It Take for Cellulaze to Work?

Does anyone know about how long it takes for the results to be seen, or what the process is like?

How long does it take for Cellulaze to work against cellulite?

Cellulaze treats the causes of cellulite directly by cutting the fibers that pull down on the skin causing the dimple effect with a laser and results are seen almost immediately (more so after swelling and bruises subside in about a week). That being said, Cellulaze also treats the skin and tissues in the region with lasers that cause the skin to thicken over time which means over time the skin becomes more and more smooth. So in most cases, while you will see a reduction right away, the area treated will continue to improve over the following 6 months to a year as the treated area grows thicker and smoother skin.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

How Cellulaze Works

To understand how Cellulaze works, it is good to know the underlying cause of cellulite. Cellulite is caused by tightening and shortening of connective fibers between the skin and underlying muscle, combined with thinning skin and the fat pushing up against the thinning skin on the surface. I sometimes use the analogy of a mattress with buttons, once those threads (connective tissue) are released, the surface will become smoother.  Cellulaze works by three different effects, first, and most important, is releasing some of the shortened fibers, this is an immediate effect.  In addition, it helps equalize the fat between the fibers to smooth out some of the irregularities which you should see the results of when swelling has resolved in 2-3 weeks.  The final component is the skin tightening and thickening which takes place more gradually due to collagen stimulation and skin contraction from the laser. This final result will be realized over the next 3-6 months.  I hope this is helpful to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Cellulaze full effects

Cellulaze has recently received FDA approval for the treatment of cellulite in the US. it works by lysing the sepate that hold the skin surface down and create dimples on the surface of the skin. additionally the laser can also tighten the skin over time. Reduction in the appearance of septae is apparent shortly after the procedure. Skin tightening on the other hand can take upto 1 yr to show final results  

Misbah Khan MD, FAAD, FACMS

Cellulaze results? Timeline?

In my opinion, each person heals differently. Some of my patients see an improvement in 2 weeks. However, I believe this is edema.
At 2 months, a long lasting improvement is usually noted. There is a group of patient's that may not see improvement until the 5th or 6th month.
I find that wearing the compression garment is helpful in getting results sooner.
Good luck!

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

3 - 6 Months for Cellulaze

It typically takes anywhere from 3 to 6 months to see your full results with Cellulaze.  After surgery, you'll wear a compression garment for roughly 3 weeks.  Swelling varies for patients so some will begin to notice results sooner. 

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

When do you see results after Cellulaze treatment?

You are absolutely right. The results from Cellulaze are not instant. You might look smoother right after the treatment, because of the swelling associated with it. You will begin to see improvement in the 2-3 months out from the laser procedure and usually this maxes out at about 6 months.It takes time because the healing involves skin thickening by making new collagen in the skin and also there's an increase in the elastic fibers. These two are increased by approx 30% as borne out by the Cellulaze studies. The results are long lasting (at least 3 years). There's nothing on the market which can match the Cellulaze results.

How long does it take to see final Cellulaze results

In my experience, you will see results right away.  If you are happy with what you see in 1-2 weeks, you'll be even more happy over time. However, it can take up to 3-6 months to really see your final results.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Cellulaze results improve with time

I our experience so far, initial results of cellulaze treatment are evident very quickly, within the first week, but continue to improve time. 

The results of the FDA trial and the experience of the doctors who were part of the Cellulaze trial indicates that the results continue to improve over 6 months and are stable for over one to two years.

Mario Diana, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Cellulaze results are noticeable by three months.

Cellulaze is the world's first permanent solution to improve the appearance of cellulite.  It uses a laser to address the three components of cellulite.

1. thinning skin
  2. herniating fat into the deep layer of skin
  3. fibrous bands that create dimpling

The treatment results in some bruising and swelling of the treatment area.  A compression garment is worn for several weeks to help decrease these side effects.  The appearance is already improved by 2-3 weeks post-procedure, but the final results are best seen at about the three month mark.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Cellulaze

Dear Megan,

Thank you for your question.  Many of our patients do note an immediate effect after surgery.  Some of this is from swelling which can make the area appear smoother.

Generally we see full recovery from the procedure after 6-12 months, depending on the patient and how much Cellulaze is done. 

As the incisions are so small, the recovery is quite minimal.  There can be some drainage of fluid.  The area appears red, swollen and sometimes bruised after surgery.  The pain is usually milder than liposuction.  The treated area can be tender and feel bruised.  Often patients will tell us the pain is quite minimal and tolerable.  Most patients can return to work the next day.

Shim Ching, MD

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon