Long Drive, Bad Roads, Bad Car: A Post Rhinoplasty Question?

During the rhinoplasty procedure, my nose was re-broken, a columella strut inserted, and cartilage added to nasal tip. 2 days ago (6.5 weeks post-rhino) I drove ~7 hours (with 2 brief stops) on roads with many,many potholes, & large stretches of stripped &uneven pavement. About 20 min. of trip was on an dirt road. In short: A very bumpy 7.4 hour ride. My car is a compact with bad shocks. Is this something I should be concerned about? Can I repeat the trip without worry? Please advise. Thank you.

Bumpy car drive should not affect post-rhinoplasty nose

You would have to do a lot more trauma to your nose to cause trouble, especially since you are 6 weeks out from surgery. I'm sure your brain must feel a bit rattled, but your nose should still be in one piece. Repeating the trip, presumably for your next appointment, also should not be worrisome. However, that said, if you have concerns, it is never a bad idea to contact your physician.

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question. Considering that your rhinoplasty was 6.5 weeks ago, there shouldn’t be any damage that was done to your nose during this car trip. It is important to allow your body to heal for about a month before resuming any physical activity, but since you’ve surpassed that timeframe, I doubt that any harm was done. With that being said, if something doesn’t feel right, I recommend calling to schedule an appointment with your surgeon so that they can see you in person.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Will a Long Bumpy Drive 6 Weeks After Surgery Hurt Your Rhinoplasyt Results?

At 6 weeks your rhinoplasty results are very stable. There is very little that you can do to hurt change your outcome short of a blow that would injure nose regardless as to whether you had a rhinoplasty or not. Enjoy you new nose.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Postop questions after a rhinoplasty procedure

A rough road and potholes will not affect the shape of the nose 6 weeks after a nasal procedure. To damage  the nose, patients would have to get hit very hard directly in the nose

Your Drive Post Rhinoplasty

The healing process for a rhinoplasty is lengthy and is completed over stages. As a general rule of thumb, I advise my patients to refrain from strenuous exercise or intense physical activity for at least a month after surgery. It is important that you give your body this time to heal and relax, in order to ensure the best results and to avoid additional stress that can affect the proper healing of the nose. However, after the month and a half of recovery (6.5 weeks) that you cited, you should be okay to make the drive. The roads, though bumpy and uneven, shouldn’t affect you this far into your recovery. Still, if you feel any discomfort while driving or are worried about the implications of your long drive on your nose job, consult your surgeon(s) and ask for an individual evaluation of your recovery.

Sam Rizk, MD

Long Bumpy Trip

The most crucial period for healing is over. You certainly are able to make this trip again. Consult and trust your surgeons advice and guidance.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon