How Long After Rhinoplasty Can You Get Your Septum Pierced?

And can you? I'm getting it done in September and I want to get my septum pierced afterwards. Is it possible to have it done because I'm getting an incision in that region, and if so how long afterwards can it be done?

At least 3 months after. It is the skinny part of the septum that is pierced, and by that time the incsions have healed well to tolerate another trauma.

Rhinoplasty

Looking at your photo it appears that you have an excellent result from the rhinoplasty

If you develop a complication related to piercing your septum you could lose the great result

Therefore I recommend never piercing your septum as complications can happen.  They're not always predictable, or preventable.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Piercing Your Septum After Rhinoplasty

My answer would be:  Never.  The septum is a very important functional and structural part of your nose.  I would highly recommend avoiding piercings in this area.  However, I believe that your question probably related to a piercing of the columella, which is the skin bridge that rests between your nostrils.  I would impart the same advice to piercings in this area, applying the same rationale.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septum piercing after Rhinoplasty...

In general I wouldn't suggest  getting your septum pierced.  Piercing the septum can result in a septal perforation which may never be able to be fixed.  Then you could have lifelong problems with crusting, congestion, and a whistling sound in your nose.  It would require additional surgery if a hole was left after you decided you didn't want it anymore.  With that being said, if you do decide to pierce your septum I would wait at least two months to make sure you are completely healed and only pierce the membranous (soft area in front) of the septum, not the cartilage. 

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Piercing septum after Rhinoplasty

Hi Cazz. I would advise not to have your septum pierced for the following reasons. First, even without rhinoplasty, any piercing that involves the cartilage can lead to infection and possible resorption of the nasal septal cartilage. In turn, cartilage loss can lead to compromised nasal structural support, which may adversely affect your appearance and your nasal breathing. Second, during rhinoplasty, cartilage grafts are sometimes placed in the area of your lower septum. Those grafts can also resorb in the setting of piercing-related infection or chronic inflammation in the vicinity. Discuss your plans with you surgeon and seek his or her opinion about your plans. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

Never pierce the nasal septum

I agree, my answer is never.  The septal cartilage is important in many aspects of nasal breathing and support and if the piercing gets infected or inflammed, the cartilage can absorb creating problems that may difficult or impossible to fix...like a septal perforation.   Find another way to express yourself.

Why pierce your septum after a rhinoplasty??

I have a hard time understanding why you would go through a rhinoplasty presumably to improve your appearance and then go ahead and injure the nose with a piercing.  Please understand that piercing cartilage can lead to chronic infections, loss of nasal support, an open hole in the septum that causes functional problems etc etc...Be kind to your delicate new nose and leave it alone after surgery would be my advice.

Septum piercing and rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty are complex operations.  This is the first I have heard of someone getting there septum pierced.  I would highly encourage you not to do this.  It may lead to significant crusting, nasal airway obstruction, infection, and possible septal perforation.  Not to mention, it may have long term effects on the results after rhinoplasty.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon