When's it safe to touch treated area after Botox?

My doctor advised not to touch treated area for 24 hours and to sleep on back. I had it done at 1330 and it's not yet been 24 hours l. I keep forgetting myself and on several time I have briefly rubbed the treated areas before realising what I was sound ! Also in the night I've turned on my side as this is the natural way I sleep ! I'm now panicking my actions will have moved the Botox and I'll end up with droopy eyes and eyebrows? Do you think this is likely ?

When is it safe to touch my face after Botox

First of all-do not worry. Normal touching of your face (things like washing your face, applying sunscreen or makeup, etc) will not affect Botox in any way.  In fact, even if you were touching your face immediately after the injections, it would be fine.  The only time I have seen people run into problems after Botox injections, is when they do something that applies very firm pressure for a long period of time to the skin.  For example-I have seen patients with uneven spread of Botox after getting a massage (where  they were lying face down in a cradle for an hour), wearing a tight hat for several hours afterwards, etc.  Your Botox will be fine!

Botox aftercare instructions

Thank you for your question jroa. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. After a treatment I recommend that my patients avoid heat exposure, alcohol consumption, and strenuous exercise for 24 hours after a treatment and avoiding lying flat for 4 hours after a treatment. I massage the areas of my patients immediately after a treatment. I tell my patients that touching the area should not affect the results. Please contact your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox – Post Care Instructions

Remain upright and do not lay down for 4 hours after the treatment.
Avoid makeup for 2 hours to the treated area and apply gently.

Exaggerate facial expressions in injected areas for 1 hour (squint, frown, raise eyebrows, smile 30 times).

Do not participate in any strenuous exercise (straining, heavy lifting, vigorous exercise, saunas)  for the rest of the day.

Feel free to shower and go about most other regular daily activities.

Do not massage, scratch or manipulate injection sites for 24 hours after your treatment. This includes facials, peels and microdermabrasion.

Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area.

Results are expected to start in 2-10 days and peak within 14 days after injection. In some patients, it may take up to 30 days to reach full results. On average, results will last for 4-6 months.  

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Botox and Aftercare

After a few hours it is completely safe to touch the area and you can exercise 24 hours after the treatment.  Please consult an expert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

At this point you are most likely safe, but in the future you should discuss in detail and at length all
the possible side effects and complications of any procedure or treatment that you are about to undergo.  If the doctor, is too busy to answer your questions, find another one.
Dr. Saimovici

Liviu Saimovici, MD
New York Ophthalmologist

Botox and Resuts

Massaging or touching the area will not affect the botox once injected. I suggest you see an expert if you continue to have concerns. Best, Dr. Emer.

When is it safe to touch treated area?

Thank you for your question.  Though I advise patients to refrain from strenuous activity the day of treatment you can touch the area within hours with little risk of affecting your outcome.  I think you are okay to resume your normal daily activities and enjoy your results as they start to kick in!

Not a problem

Thankyou for your questions. New studies have shown that botox and dysport bind to their "receptors" in the skin within 10-15 minutes at after in injection. From this moment on there is no possible way to affect the product, "move" or disperse it, or affect its action by touching, bending, sleeping, exercise, etc.  In other words, there are no restrictions after botox injections once you leave the office.
The only advise i give my patients is to avoid vigorous exercise for 24 hours, simply because It increases chance of bruising,. 
Good luck!

Neda Vanden Bosch, MD
West Palm Beach Physician

Postprocedure Instructions After Botox Treatment

Thank you for your question and for being so thorough in following your doctor's postprocedure instructions.  What you are describing is very unlikely to negatively affect your Botox result.  I recommend that my patients avoid touching the treated areas for 4 hours.  I also recommend avoidance of bending, heavy lifting and strenuous activities, such as going to the gym, for 24 hours after treatment.  An additional recommendation is to sleep with the head slightly elevated with a pillow for 24 hours after the procedure.  Since it may not be possible to maintain this position once asleep, please do not panic if you happen to wake up in a different position.  Please keep in mind that your Botox will start working in a couple of days and you will see your final result in 2 weeks.  Best wishes!

Hello Jemmaroa,

It is always important to listen to the instructions provided by your physician.  I tell my patients after Botox not to touch or massage the area for 4 hours.  Inadvertent touching is not the same as a massage.  With regards to sleep, no matter what position you are told to be in when you go to sleep, your body will turn you into whatever position it likes to sleep in (like your side or stomach).  If that was a real issue with Botox injection then there would be a lot of people out there who did not get the result they wanted.  So I would not worry about how you slept affecting your treatment.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon