20 units of Botox in chin too much?

I have had 6 units of Botox in my chin before for a pebble chin previously. I ended up going to another doctor and I told him how much I had last time and that this time I just needed it touched up. He ended up placing two injections of 10 each so I total of 20 units into my chin without me even realizing! I'm scared of when the effects of the Botox kick in that something will go terribly wrong because this seems like a huge amount to put in a chin! Please help!

Botox in the chin

Thank you for your question scutebb. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. in can be place in the chin to address the dimples. Typically 4-8 units are used here. Too high a dose can lead to spreading of the Botox to the adjacent DLI muscle, which can lead to a temporary asymmetric smile. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Yes it's too much

6 units is a typical dose, occasionally up to 8 or maybe 10 in a large chin or male muscular patient. As Long as the preparation was not highly diluted( a lot of saline mixed with botox), and proper placement was Done, you should be fine. You might have a longer lasting result, as recent studies show higher doses can actually prolong results. Best of luck!

Neda Vanden Bosch, MD
West Palm Beach Physician

Botox in the chin

Care must be taken when injecting Botox in the chin area and too much Botox may cause droopiness of the month. You should see the full effect within 10 days. If it were too much or if it diffused, you would have already seen the poor outcome.

Dr H Karamanoukian

Botox and Results

The typical dose is 2-6 units to the chin area. Botox takes 10-14 days to see optimal results. I suggest you give it time to determine what the ultimate outcome is. Unfortunately, Botox takes 2-4 months to resolve. For future treatment, I suggest consulting with an experienced board certified dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer

20 units of Botox in the chin

Dear scutebb,
It will take a couple of days for your Botox to kick in, and I would worry about the placement more than the total volume. If too lateral or too high it could change the animation of your lower lip a little, but if a higher dose is placed in the correct place it is not going to cause you a problem. Whether you get the absolute best or worst outcome the botox will always wear off in a few months, so don't worry.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Botox For Pebble Chin

20 units for a pebble chin is quite a lot. I don't think i've ever used more than 10 units. Fortunately, if you experience any unwanted effects they will completely resolve and go back to normal once the Botox wears off in 3-4 months. Make sure you follow up with your injector if there are any concerns. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Botox Dosage for Pebble Chin

Thank you for your question.  Sorry to hear about your experience.  In general, pebble chin treatment requires only 5-10 units of Botox.  Botox dosage and location of injections into the mentalis muscle are important considerations for effective treatment in this area.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to see your final result after Botox treatment.  If you develop any concerns about your appearance, please be sure to see an experienced injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to fully address your concerns, discuss your goals and expectations, and determine the best course of action.  Best wishes! 

How much Botox for the chin

I generally use much less in the chin and more doesn't necessarily translate into a better result, but...There is not much to go bad in that location if the provider injected in the correct area.  I would not be too concerned as everything should be fine.  

Seth Kates, MD
Worcester Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for chin

I usually inject 6-9 units into the chin to relax the mentalis muscle. 20 units is a very high dose. Confirm that he/she was using Botox and not Dysport. 

Botox and Chin

Botox in the chin doesn't generally need this many units.  It will take two weeks to see the full effect.  Please consult an expert who understands how to inject "baby' Botox.  Best, Dr. Green