Can oral collagen affect keloids after a steroid injection treatment?

Hi, I would to ask if oral collagen supplement for skin anf joints can affect my keloids (as I know is a overproductions of collagen) and I been taking oral collagen for the last two days and I have my first steroid injection a week ago but I havent see any improvement in my scars , and Im concern can be because of the oral collagen. Please can you give me any advice.

Thanks for your query. There is no scientific study to prove that oral collagen works in rebuilding collagen fibers. Collagen is a type of protein and after ingestion it gets broken down into amino acids and is taken up by cells , so its use is questionable. Hope it helps.

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Collagen Supplement for Keloids

Thank you for your question about Collagen.

Consuming oral collagen has not been shown to be beneficial or detrimental for the treatment of keloid scars.

To be sure what might help you, see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have keloid treatment.

I hope this helps and best wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Oral collagen intake and keloid therapy

Oral collagen will not affect keloid healing or steroid effectiveness.

Best
Dr Karamanoukian