Facelift younger patients - Deep Plane or Smas?

Why do some surgeons say deep plane only for heavier cheeks with less laxity than older patients? Will smas lift not be enough to hold the lift in such cases?

Facelift Deep Plane vs Smas

Hi Millie, 

I prefer to do a deep plane Facelift in all of my patients. Not doing a deep plane, I feel, comprises the longevity of the results in any patient. 

Hope this helps, 

Javad Sajan, MD

Seattle Physician

Deep plane os SMAS lift?

Deep plane os SMAS lift? Choose the surgeon who does natural faces without visible incisions and forget the technique used.

Deep-plane facelift vs. SMAS

Thank you for the great question! Without getting overly technical, here's the difference: a deep-plane facelift involves an exteneded dissection under the SMAS and platysma muscles into the midface, while SMAS techniques typically involve a more limited dissection in this plane. In addition, the deep-plane technique does not separate the skin from the connective tissue superficially. This results in a more natural-appearing lift and reduces the risk of hematoma. Whether a specific technique is better for a specific face shape or fullness is difficult to say. However, in my opinion, the deep-plane facelift gives a better result in the midface/cheek -- in addition to the other advantages mentioned above. Take care and best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon