Facelift younger patients - Deep Plane or Smas?

Why do some surgeons say deep plane only for heavier cheeks with less laxity than older patients? Will smas lift not be enough to hold the lift in such cases?

Deep Plane or Smas facelift ?

A great deal of which type of facelift you have is based on what facial concerns you have, your long term desired results and budget. In general, the more time that is spent in the OR, the greater the cost. This time spent in the OR may be necessary to achieve your final result. You are correct in that while a SMAS facelift may work for some, it does not provide the same lasting results for all. If you look at the websites of board certified plastic surgeons, you can see the different facial shapes and their results. Then, look for sites that provide long term results, greater than 5 years. the real answer to your question is not the age of the patient but the facial shape, issues to be improved and selecting the procedure that affords such an outcome. 

Everyone is different

Good afternoon!

As in all cosmetic surgery procedures- not every technique is best for every individual patient.  Some people benefit greatly from a deep plane technique, while others do very well with more superficial techniques.  And some people may benefit from deep plane techniques but are not willing to under go the prolonged swelling that these procedures produce- they just do not have the time.  

In short, every patient has different needs, goals, and desires.  It is is up to us the plastic surgeon to be able to tailor your procedure to each individual.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS

Facelift Deep Plane vs Smas

Hi Millie, 

I prefer to do a deep plane Facelift in all of my patients. Not doing a deep plane, I feel, comprises the longevity of the results in any patient. 

Hope this helps, 

Javad Sajan, MD

Javad Sajan, MD
Seattle Physician

Deep plane os SMAS lift?

Deep plane os SMAS lift? Choose the surgeon who does natural faces without visible incisions and forget the technique used.

Deep-plane facelift vs. SMAS

Thank you for the great question! Without getting overly technical, here's the difference: a deep-plane facelift involves an exteneded dissection under the SMAS and platysma muscles into the midface, while SMAS techniques typically involve a more limited dissection in this plane. In addition, the deep-plane technique does not separate the skin from the connective tissue superficially. This results in a more natural-appearing lift and reduces the risk of hematoma. Whether a specific technique is better for a specific face shape or fullness is difficult to say. However, in my opinion, the deep-plane facelift gives a better result in the midface/cheek -- in addition to the other advantages mentioned above. Take care and best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon