Facelift after fat transfer?

Can facelifting be done after fat transfer? And if so how long is best to wait - of what is the minimum time people can wait?

Facelift After Fat Transfer?

Yes a facelift can certainly be done after fat transfer has been performed. In fact, the facelift should enhance the overall results because the two procedures work synergistically. The changes of facial aging are a result of both volume loss (fat atrophy) and stretching or sagging of facial tissues. So a combination of both skin tightening and lifting (facelift) along with replacement of volume loss (fat transfer) will provide the optimal results. Often both of these procedures are performed at the same time because they are easily combined and it is a more efficient process. It isn't clear if you have already had facial fat transfer performed, but if so, I would wait at least 3 months before proceeding with the facelift. It takes time for the swelling to resolve and allow the living grafted fat cells to settle in and heal in the new environment.

Facelift after fat transfer??

Thanks for your question.  Yes, you can do fat transfer after or at the same time as a facelift.  I often combine these 2 procedures as they compliment each other well.  But, you can certainly do the facelift after the fat transfer, remembering to wait at least 3 months after to let the fat survive and take hold before having the facelift.  These two procedures nicely address the two causes of facial again, skin sagging and loss of volume.  Best of luck to you and enjoy your new look!

Facelift after fat transfer

You can certainly do a facelift after fat transfer.  Both of these procedures compliment each other and the facelift will enhance the results of fat transfer.  I typically wait 3 months or more after fat transfer before I would do a facelift.  It is important that the volume be stabilized before doing another procedure.  This also allows further fat transfer with the facelift if your surgeon and you feel this would be beneficial.  Take care.

Timothy A. Janiga MD, FACS

Facelift after previous fat grafting

You can definitely have a facelift after previous fat grafting.  I would recommend waiting 4 months to be sure all the swelling is gone and all the fat that has been transferred is alive and well.  Fat grafting during the facelift can also be performed to replace the areas that did not survive the first time.

Dr. Z.

Michael Zenn, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Facelift after fat transfer?

Yes a facelift can be performed after fat transfer. Wait until your swelling subsides (about 3 months). Facelifting and fat grafting are complimentary procedures. We frequently perform them at the same procedure.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing of a Facelift After Fat Transfer

A facelift can be performed after fat transfer, though at least a 3 month wait time would be recommended to allow for any swelling and potential scarring to subside. The type of facelift may depend on the area of fat grafting, the depth and the amount of volume retained from the fat. Typically, fat grafting does not take the place of a facelift, but they can compliment each other.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Facelift after fat transfer?

Thank you for your question.  Yes, A facelift can certainly be done after fat grafting to the face.  In most cases a facelift will improve the fat grafting result.  Once the swelling subsides some fascial laxity can recur and a facelift is the best way to tighten facial skin.  The swelling from fat grafting can take at least 3 months and possibly 6 so I would recommend waiting 6 months to make certain all the swelling from the fat grafting has resolved.

Facelift after fat transfer

Great question! Yes, you can have a facelift after fat transfers, however, I would wait 3-6 months to proceed. My recommendation is that you consult with several different Board Certified Plastic Surgeons and find someone you are comfortable with, and that has extensive experience with faces. Best Wishes!

Facelift and Fat Transfer

Hi ~ Fat transfer or fat grafting is a great adjunct procedure to a facelift. As we age there is both volume loss and sagging of skin. A face lift will address the sagging skin and fat transfer will help replace lost volume. It is best to wait 4-6 months after fat transfer to proceed with a facelift. This will allow for ample healing time and all swelling to resolve.

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician

Facelift after fat transfer?

Hello Milliemils9,

A facelift can be done after fat transfer, but if you are going to do them why space them out?  If you'd rather try one then the other I would recommend the facelift first and then the fat transfer.  If you want to go fat transfer then facelift you need to give it some time so you can see the result from fat transfer.  By 2 months almost all of the swelling from surgery will be gone so you an have an idea of your result (although the fat can continue to go away over the course of the year).  So if you wanted to do fat transfer and then facelift I would recommend you wait about 2 months, but it is important to see what your surgeon says.  

I hope this helps and good luck.

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon