My doctor told me to use isotretinoin for 4 weeks before Co2 Laser scar treatment. Why is this?

I'm a dark skinned individual with acne scars. My Doctor said I need to use isotretinoin for 4 weeks and stop it for a week before beginning Co2 Laser treatment for acne scar. Why is this? I heard isotretinoin is not recommended before Co2 treatment.

Co2 Laser scar treatment

Isotretinoin is a prescription drug used to treat severe acne.  A patient should wait at least 6 months to a year before considering CO2 Laser treatments.  Your history of dark skinned individual makes you at risk for pigment issues secondary to the laser treatment.  Consider several opinions prior to undergoing this aggressive treatment and ask to see or talk with others of similar skin type to be better prepared.

Isotretinoin and Scars / Lasers with Vitamin A or Accutane

If you have darker skin, I'd recommend a nonablative laser like fraxel or a fractional radiofrequency treatment like VIVA/Skinfinity/Intensif.  Isotretinoin is safe with lasers if used properly. I suggest seeing an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.