Cleaning recipient area after 9-10 days. (Photos)

Hello everyone. I've done a FUE about 10 days ago. The skin seemed healed enough, so I started to rub off the white scabs that were on top of my head (you can see them still in the front part). My question is: as I started to run with my finger, is there any chance that the graft may be pulled out after 9-10 days? I must say that during these day I didn't notice any loss of grafts/hair at all.

It is best to ask your surgeon about post operative care as each doctor has their unique regimen.

It is best to ask your surgeon about post operative care as each doctor has their unique regimen. Gently running your fingers will not dislodge grafts after one to two weeks.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Graft security

by 9-10 days the grafts are secure in their new transplanted area. You should be washing your hair like normal, using shampoo and conditioner to the area to help soften the scabs so they come off. Also, the transplanted hair shafts will start to fall out as well, this is normal. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Post op care

By about 9 days your grafts in the recipient area are yours.  Even if you see a little hair come out, don't panic - the follicle is beneath the surface.  Keep washing and gently rubbing off those scabs.  Your head will feel better and you will heal better.

Sara Wasserbauer, MD
Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE @ 10 day post operative

At 10 days post operative the grafts are secure.  I recommend you begin to use the pads of your fingers and gently massage the grafts.  Also, you can stand under the shower for 10 minutes and the scabs should loosen up and fall off. Don't be alarmed if you see the small hairs come out as well.  The root of the hair is secure and protected under the scalp.

Justin Misko, MD
Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

9 days post op care

I recommend from day 10 the patient wash and massage the scalp when wet and massage with the weight of the fingers using the fingertips in a circular motion to break down any crusts. If performed twice daily, this will really speed up the healing process and break down the crusts and scabs. It will feel like grit coming off the scalp and this is part of the process.

If it’s the first surgery then some patients are  scared to massage but it really needs to be done. By day 10 grafts became secure  , so don’t be shy but massage to speed up this process.

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Post op care

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open

wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of
crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of
losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon