Who Should Remove my Lipoma?

I have a lipoma on my anterior shoulder and I’m afraid about the surgery. Should the surgeon be an orthopedic specialist or a plastic surgeon?

I'm not afraid of pain or of a scar, I'm only afraid about the anesthesia. Any comments? I've had this for about 3 or 4 years and I'm a 51 y.o. mother of 6 and I'd really like it off of my shoulder.

Doctor Answers 5

Choose a plastic surgeon to remove your lipoma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I recommend choosing a plastic surgeon to remove your lipoma. Plastic surgeons are highly skilled in performing procedures under local anaesthetic (with or without sedation) which can minimise your anaesthetic risks. As an added bonus you're also likely to experience aesthetic benefits in the contour and scar.

DIscussing your anaesthetic fears with your doctor will help the two of you better manage the situation. You may find that your fears are unfounded or easily allayed. Good luck!

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a surgeon for a lipoma removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A board certified plastic surgeon who can distinguish between a lipoma, a high risk tumor, and a lymph node. Experience counts.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Who should remove a lipoma ?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

For most surgeons, the closure of the wound is a nuisance and left for an intern to do.  For a plastic surgeon, it is a major part of the procedure.  So I would clearly choose a plastic surgeon to remove a lipoma and in my practice it is generally performed with only local anesthesia so you can drive yourself home.


Darrick E. Antell, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

You might also like...

See a plastic surgeon for your lipoma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

When considering a surgeon for the removal of a lipoma, a plastic surgeon has the most experience in the face and other sensitive areas of your body. However, a plastic surgeon is very comfortable working throughout the body and has a great deal of experience working with lipomas and other masses in the soft tissue. A plastic surgeon understands the lines of tension in your skin and also has an appreciation to how large a defect is necessary and what will be required to close the defect with the least amount of tension in the best possible scar. For best results, consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Depends upon what you want afterwards

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


If you are concerned about how things might look afterward, then I would says consider a plastic surgeon. If you want to pay less or even have it covered under insurance, then go to a general surgeon or an orthopedist. 

If it is small it might be do-able in the office under local anesthesia.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.