How to Get Up-turned Lips?

How can I get the corners of my mouth to turn "up" again -- instead this "frown" I have, when I'm not smiling...

Filler or Plastic Surgery

For patients under 60, or whose skin is moderately firm, placement of a hyaluronic filler can correct this problem quite readily. My preference for this area is Restylane since I feel it gives better support. However, Juvederm can be used, especially if there are other areas to be filled that are more adaptable to this filler.

The filler is injected into the small triangle that seems to form with the down-turned smile. This is done with a fanning technique approaching at different angles. Then the corner of the lip is injected straight on and a nice lift results.

One caveat: this procedure often requires more filler than you might expect. It is better to have great results on both sides than either great result on one side and mediocre results on the other, or mediocre results on both sides. So, it might be better to save your money so both sides can be corrected optimally.

If you are over 60 or have saggy skin, a plastic surgeon can perform a smile lift in which the above mentioned triangle is excised and the corner lifted up.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Filler or Plastic Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

How To Get The Ends of My Smile To Turn Up

Hi,

There are two fairly easy ways to accomplish this.  The first is with the use of Botox.  There is a muscle called depressor anguli oris which runs from the corner of the mouth to the angle of the chin.  If you place a small amount equally to both sides where the muscle meets the jaw, you will block that muscle and naturally lift the smile up.  If this technique still does not pull your smile up, you can add a filler such as Juvederm or Radiesse, or Restylane in a crosswise manner to the angle of the smile to physically perk it up by bolstering it up.  Botox to this area lasts approximately 3-4 months and each filler varies on duration.

Hi,

Corner Lift for the Corners of the mouth

In certain instances, patients may develop sharp downward turning of the corners of the mouth making them look sad or angry.

There is a procedure called a "corner lift" which lifts the outer corners of the mouth and pulls them out of the deep groove which blends with the marionette lines.

There are a few variations on the incisions ranging from triangular excisions to heart shaped excions of skin with repositioning of the corner (commissures) of the mouth.

Typical removable sutures are placed and removed within a week.

This is in contrast to the lip lift procedure which can be performed using several different options with scars residing on the white roll (lipstick liner) or immediately beneath the nose.

It is not uncommon to perform these procedures in tandem with a facial rejuvenative procedure.

Upturned Frown Lines

I love using Restylane Lyft in this area to make the frown lines go up.  Also injecting a small amount of Botox in the DAO's will help with this process as well.  Please consult an expert in facial injections.  Best, Dr. Green

Upturned Frown Lines

Downturned oral commissure (depressor anguli oris muscle)

Botox injections to the depressor anguli oris (DAO) muscle can help return the corner of the mouth to a neutral or even upturned position. The bilateral depressor anguli oris muscle inserts at each oral commissure (corner of the mouth). This muscle may become hyperkinetic with time, resulting in downturned oral commissures. The individual with downturned corners of the mouth takes on a sad face appearance or an expression of disapproval. A few units of Botox injected into the depressor anguli oris muscle relax this downward pull vector. The corners of the mouth return to a neutral or even upturned position. This positioning also can be assisted with filler material placed inferior to the commissures. Despite often beneficial effects, treatment of this muscle occasionally can have inconsistent results. In general, we have obtained good results with botox 5 units per side as the standard starting dose for the treatment of oral commissures. We tend to administer one injection per side. Injections can be made directly into the DAO muscle located on the mandibular body. 

Reference: Petrus GM, Lewis D, Maas CS. Anatomic considerations for treatment with botulinum toxin. Facial Plast Surg Clin N Am. 2007; 15: 1-9

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injectables or Surgery

What you describe is a very common concern, that is, the downturned corners of the mouth. This can be addressed by:

1. Injectables like Restylane or Juvederm. When these are injected into the corners of the mouth, it can serve as a platform to lift up the corners.

2. Surgery. The most direct approach is an anguloplasty (AKA a "corner lift"). This procedure can be done under local anesthesia where a triangle or heart shaped portion of skin is removed from each corner of the mouth. The corner is then lifted and the incision is closed with sutures, which stay in for about a week. With a meticulous wound closure, the scar is often imperceptible (especially if you wear lipstick!). This often addresses the downturned corners better than other procedures (like a facelift).

Good Luck!

Injectables or Surgery

Good Luck!

To be botoxed and filled

In my hands a combination of botox to the muscles the depress the lips and a small amount of filler in this area can make a big difference.

The key is to find that balance and to not put too much filler in this location as it can.

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

To be botoxed and filled

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Up Turned Lips

It is always the best option to get a consultation, before you commit to getting anything done. I have significant experience working with lip enhancers and they are a safe and effective treatment when applied by a trained professional. While it takes about 2 days for the swelling to go down, the results are long-lasting. Most clients need 1-2 syringes for a dramatic effect, but some require more. This depends on the amount of product you need to achieve your desired lip volume.  Be wary of pricing that is overly discounted. Lip augmentation requires a great deal of precision and skill and can really alter the balance of your face when done poorly. If you have questions or concerns, it is recommended that you contact your provider as soon as possible! Best of luck!

Up Turned Lips

Lip Augmentation with Juvederm ULTRA XC

An easy solution to turning up lips is by using Botox in addition to a dermal fillers like Restylane SILK or Juvederm ULTRA XC.  A skilled provider can help with naturally changing the lip borders.

#RestylaneSilk   #lipborders   #Fillinglips

Lip Augmentation with Juvederm ULTRA XC

A Natural Lip Enhancement

Whether you’ve noticed your lips thinning over time, or simply want fuller lips, JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC or RESTYLANE SILK can give you natural-looking results that lasts more than 9 months. In fact, 78% of people treated experienced improvement in satisfaction with the look and feel of their lips 1 year later!

The cost of a single 1ml syringe will vary within $50-$100 between competitive practices. We suggest finding a reputable practice with expert injectors for the blend of science and artistry!
Caution: upturned lips might be the cause of overfilling!

#lipenhancement #JuvedermUltra #RestylaneSilk

A Natural Lip Enhancement