Fat Transfer for Lips: Worth It?

I am going in for a revision Breast augmentation and a little Liposuction under my chin soon, and I'm would also like my lips augmentated. I was considering something like Juvederm, but since I'm going to be out, do you think it would be worth a fat transfer? Many reviews say a lot gets reabsorbed, but some of the results I have seen when its worked are gorgeous. I'm 27.

Adult stem Cells best choice for permanent lip Augmentation.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your own fat is the best material for lip augmentation because it replenishes what is lacking in your lip... The reason for failure or poor results in the past was due to poor technique. Fat needs blood supply to survive. Adult stem cell technology gives an excellent option for permanent lip augmentation using your own adult stem cells and fat tissue. The stem cells in their regenerative process release several growth factors and cause angiogenesis (new capillary formation). The combination of Stem cells and fat thrive to create lips made of natural tissue as it is supposed to be. The technology is available now for clinical use.

Fat Grafting for Lip Augmentation

Fat Grafting for lip augmentation is an excellent option and is NOT ABSORBED completely over time.  Over the years fat grafting techniques have evolved, with refinements in harvesting, injection, and preparation.  It is true that a portion of the fat that is injected will be reabsorbed, but with slight over correction, a lasting volume enhancement will be seen.  The addition of Platelet Rich Plasma to the fat that is injected will aid in volume retention via stimulation of stem cells in the fat.  When performed by a skilled surgeon who is very familiar with technique, fat grafting can provide lasting lip augmentation.  Good Luck, Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer tor Lip augmentation

. Hyaluronic Acid fillers (HA) such as Restylane and Jeuvederm are great for lip augmentation but have to be repeated every 1-2 years as are absorbable. Fat transfer is a good alternative and long lasting but amount of "take" of the fat varies from patient to patient. Despite this it is still one of my most favored techniques for lip augmentation in my practice.

Fat Transfers to the Lips

Thank you for your question. Lip augmentation with fat transfers is a great procedure. The results are beautiful and natural. The techniques for fat transfers have evolved a lot over the last several years, and though some does get absorbed, the amount that remains is significantly better these days. If you have never had filler I would suggest trying that first and making sure you like the look. Juvaderm can easily be dissolved if you don't like the look. This is more common in someone starting with very small lips to begin with. If you end up loving it, then fat transfers are a great option in the right hands. Find a board certified plastic surgeon who offers both options. Good luck!

Fat transfer to the lips

Definitly consult with your surgeon but I perform a lot of fat transfer to the face and transfer to the lips is a little unpredictable.  As you said, when it take evenly and doesn't resorb much it's amazing but much of the time its a bit uneven and potentially lumpy.  The lips are just so mobile the fat take is variable.

Chase Lay, MD

Double board certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer for Lip Augmentation - Hit and Miss

My experience with fat transfer to the lips for augmentation has been hit/miss. Some patients have a nice result that lasts, and others seem to have very little benefit. I think its worth trying - since you are already under anesthesia and having liposuction done anyway. Expect some significant lip swelling. My personal recommendation to patients seeking lip augmentation is to stick to HA fillers (Juvederm etc) and repeat every 4-5 months.

Difficult to obtain consistent results

Fat grafts are becoming more popular, as we have learned to refine the techniques for both harvesting and rejecting. No one consistently obtains 100% survival but if the graphs survive they can survive for much longer time than the temporary dermal fillers which usually last 9-12 months. Talk with your plastic surgeon as to the technique he uses for both harvesting the fat as well as injecting. The most important thing is to minimize the trauma to the fat cells as you are removing them, and separating them from the other components ,so that you are re-injecting a higher concentration of fat cells .

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Lip Augmentation and Fat Transfer

Fat transfer for lip augmentation is an excellent procedure to undergo if you are looking for permanent results. The outcome of lip augmentation done through fat transfer is beautiful. Not only does it look natural, it also feels natural to touch. The result is having soft and full lips. Ultimately, this is a good choice if you want natural yet permanent results. As for your resorption inquiry, through the years, the techniques used for transferring fat have improved greatly. Though some fats get reabsorbed, a significant amount remains.

Here is one thing though, if you have not tried lip augmentation before with fillers, it is highly advised that you try the temporary ones first just to make sure that you will actually like the outcome that you desire. Fillers like Juvederm lasts for a number of months and it can be dissolved as well if you are not happy with the outcome. If by any chance, you liked the result, you can proceed with the fat transferring. Always consult a board certified plastic surgeon prior to any lip augmentation procedure. Good luck!

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Fat to lips

I like injecting fat to the lips - very natural - the key is to spin down the fat cells at a slow 50 rad speed in a centrifuge as this will make it last for 3 years.

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip Fillers

Lip fillers with Juvederm or Restylane should give you the beautiful lips you are looking for. I don't see any advantage of getting fat transfers in this area. I inject a great deal of lips and it is the experience of the injector which is the most important aspect. Permanent lip fillers run risks that cannot be easily corrected.  Please consult an expert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green