Lifting After Breast Augmentation

My doctor cleared me to return to my part-time serving job, which requires carrying up to 40 lbs of food with one arm at 3 weeks post-breast augmentation. I am excited to get back to work, but I'm also nervous that lifting or carrying things around with this much weight will cause problems due to my recent augmentation. Would other doctors agree that I can return to this type of work at 3 weeks post-op?

Waitressing at three weeks

I clear my patients at four weeks. If you go back at three weeks make sure you are wearing a good supportive sports-type bra and that you keep your arms low while lifting. Good luck!

Limit Lifting to No More Than 15lbs for 4-6 Weeks Following Breast Augmentation

Heavy lifting and strenuous activity following breast augmentation can result in post-operative complications. In some cases, heavy lifting can cause bleeding and resultant hematoma formation. In other cases, heavy lifting can result in implant displacement with resultant implant malposition.

For these reasons, limitations are often placed on lifting in the post-operative period. We generally limit lifting to no more than fifteen pounds for four to six weeks following breast augmentation. In addition, we stress that patients not lift their elbows above their shoulders and that they avoid repetitive arm movements.

In the short term, it may be necessary to make slight modifications in your life style to avoid complications. Make sure you discuss this issue with your surgeon prior to proceeding with breast augmentation surgery.

Heavy lifting restrictions after breast implant augmentation surgery

If implants were placed over the muscle I don't see any reason why you could not return to heavy lifting. If placed under the muscle I would consider a 6 week restriction for heavy lifting.

Back to work questions

Congratulations on your surgery and your new look.

Back to work questions can be complicated. There's no strict formula for when it is ok to go back to work. Determinations are made based on some of the following factors:

1. Type of operation
2. Complications post-op
3. Your pain tolerance and narcotic pain medication needs
4. Your job

In my San Francisco area practice people are typically back to work after one or two weeks (usually closer to one week). Because this can be a complex issue make sure you've communicated with your surgeon the type of work you do and what your post-op concerns might be.

I hope this helps!

Lifting food trays post breast augmentation

It is always best to follow the recommendation of your board certified plastic surgeon as to your exercise tolerance. Your surgeon will know about your tissues, how much he had to do with the pocket, etc. When you do get the OK, make sure to wear very good sports bras. Also ease into it. Don't run a marathon the first day. We see patients post op and let them know their limitations at their appointment. Running is usually about 8 weeks out. Please talk to your plastic surgeon and make a plan about your exercise/work limits.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

If your doctor says it's okay, then it should be okay

If your surgeon said it’s okay to get back tow work, and they know that you’ll be carrying heavy trays of food, then it’s probably fine to follow their advice. However, I suggest you take it easy at first, since you’ve been off for a so long. Don’t try to lift as much as you did before your surgery right from the beginning. Ease up to what you used to carry so your body can get used to it again.

Ronald Levine, MD

Lifting after BA

I advise all my patients to avoid heavy lifting and straining for six weeks. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do.

#breastuaugmentation
#liftingafterBA

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Lifting after Breast augmentation

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS
  • 1.pain is variable
  • 2.it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax
  • 3.celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help
  • 4.massage and stretching may help
  • 5.everyone heals differently
  • 6.4-7 days off from work is common
  • i start patients on active motion the day of surger
  • heavy lifting 3-6 weeks

Lifting after breast augmentation

Thank you for the question. You are still in the post operation recovery stage. It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle. Most doctors usually clear their patients for regular activities after 3-4 weeks from surgery but it would be best to lay low on the lifting up until 2-3 months.  It would be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get his or her approval. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Lifting after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You definitely want to follow your own surgeon's post-op activity instructions. This is a general guide I give to my patients:
1) No heavy lifting or strenous activity for 6 weeks (use a gallon of milk as a guide).
2) Resume walking at a leisurely pace right after surgery (e.g. 2 mph)
3) At 2 weeks, you can walk 2 miles at 2mph
4) At 3 weeks, you can walk 3 miles at 3mph
5) At 4 weeks, you can walk 4 miles at 4mph
6) At 5 weeks, you can jog 5 miles at 5mph
7) At 6 weeks, you can resume all activties, but listen to your body and use discomfort or tightness as a guide so you don't over do it.