Going Bigger After First Breast Augmentation

I just got Saline breast implants 16 days ago. I am 24 years old, 5'1 in height and weighs 100 lbs. Before, I was about a 34A but could fit into a 32B bra. I had 275CC implants put in. I am really regretting not going bigger. I really think I should have went to get 325CC implants. If I decide to go bigger by 50CC, how much bigger would it be, and how long would I have to wait to have it done? Also, how much would it cost? Can I still use the saline implants I currently have?

In regards to going bigger after breast augmentation

Unfortunately, patients are occasionally dissatisfied with their breast size after breast augmentation.  This is precisely why so much time is spent discussing implant size before surgery.  Still, 16 days after surgery is much, much too soon to be drawing conclusions about the implant size.  Patients should wait a minimum of 3-6 months before considering further breast surgery.  In regards to the selection of larger implants, 50cc bigger is not enough to notice much of a difference.  For petite patients, one full cup size is generally 120cc.  If a revision is planned, I definitely do not advise adding fluid to the same implants.

Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

You should wait for them to heal before making any changes

Maggie,

Your problem is very common - deciding that you want larger implants. However, please be patient as you should allow your body to recover from the surgery you just had. Every time you have additional surgeries, you are undergoing a small, but real risk. So, it is best to wait and not make any rash decisions. However, if you do decide to change your implant size, I would suggest going with more than a 50 cc change - this small amount will not be appreciable. Additionally, you will need different implants than the ones you currently have since there is a recommended fill volume specific for each implant. So, the cost will likely be similar to your initial surgery. Also, you may want to consider silicone implants if you have your implants changed out.

I hope you find this helpful.

David Shafer, MD

Wait until you have healed to assess your results

I am sorry to hear that you are currently regretting your implant selection, but I cannot stress enough how early it is for you to make any assessment on your implant size.  Seeing as how you are only 16 days out from surgery, you have not allowed enough time for your body to heal, your breast pocket and tissue to stretch and accommodate your implant, and for your implants to settle.  I recommend that patients wait at least 3-6 months to begin assessing their breast augmentation results for these reasons.

With that said, I would recommend following up with your operating surgeon to discuss your concerns.  Your surgeon would most likely wait until you are at least 3-6 months out to exchange your implants in the case that your implants have settled and you still wish to go larger.  Please be patient and allow your body to heal.  You will see that your breasts will continue to evolve as the pocket and tissue stretches to accommodate your new implants and you might find that your 275cc implants are perfect after all.  I hope this helps and best of luck!

Going bigger

Hi and thank you for your question.
You are still early in your recovery.. Your breasts will continue to change over the next few weeks. It can take between 3 and 6 months for the breasts to drop and settle into position. I suggest waiting at least 6 months before making any decisions. Best of luck!

Increasing your Implant Size

First of all I would say that you are very early in your post-operative period. I would wait at least six months for all of the swelling to subside prior to making any decisions on your implant size.

Second 50cc is typically not significant difference to undergo another surgery. I usually encourage patients to increase their implants size by at least 100cc if they are going to change their implants and want to have a noticeable difference.

Going bigger after primary breast augmentation

Maggie, I think you should wait at least 6 months before thinking about another surgery. You still have some recovery to do, and who knows, you might end up liking your final size. If you are then still unhappy with your size, i would talk with your surgeon and review your options. It takes about  200cc to make a cup size, so 50cc with be a subtle change. Cost will depend on your doctor and the facility.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal and replacement.

Maggie-16 days is too soon to be thinking about changing the size of the implant. Give your body 6-12 months to recover from the surgery and let the implants settle before making a decision. It is important to consider the cost and benefit of removing your current implants and replacing them with a larger size. Most people do not return to surgery for less than 100cc’s per implant. Discuss your options with your surgeon and remember how much different you looked before surgery. In some cases removal and replacement costs more than the initial breast augmentation.

Revisionary breast surgery to go larger

At this point in time of your recovery, it is too soon to see the final results of surgery. I suggest waiting atleast 3-6 months before deciding to remove and replace your implants with larger ones. At 2 weeks post-op surgery, the implants are not fully settled. There may still be some swelling which will subside, allowing the breasts to look larger and better shaped. Massage the breasts and wear the surgical bra for a full month to assist in the healing process. Once the implants have settled, you may be happier with the look and size of the breasts. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon, if after 6 months you are still wanting to proceed with revisionary surgery. I recommend finding pictures of what look and size you want to achieve, to help your surgeon figure out whether 50cc would make a significant difference and whether they can use the same implant. Depending on the severity and complexity of the case, the pricing could vary. Recovery will quick and painless most of the time with revisionary surgery. Take care and just be patient, hopefully with time, things will work out for you.

Unhappy after breast augmentation - too small

At only 2 weeks after surgery, do not judge the results of your breast augmentation so soon. I recommend that you wait several months in order for you body to heal and adjust to your new breast size. You may surprise yourself that you are very happy with this size. The 50cc difference would be modest at best. The cost for a revision varies by surgeon and there is no standard. If after several months you are still unhappy, a reaugmentation is still possible.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Revision breast augmentation can be done for larger breasts

My first advise to you would be to wait some time before making a decision. From your description, the implants you had placed will likely have given you a proportionate result. I recommend waiting at least 3 months to get used to your new current form- you may be surprised that you like the way you look. You may want to be bigger, however, and that is understandable- every woman has her own desires for the shape and size of their breast. If you decide to get larger breast implants, your current ones will most likely not be able to be used as they will unlikely be able to accommodate the larger volume. You can discuss your situation with your plastic surgeon- most of us have policies for this type of situation.

In my Santa Barbara plastic surgery practice, I ask the patient to choose a size of implant using sizers and a bra in the pre-operative period. I have them show me what they feel a nice size is for them using this method. Because a given implant may look larger or smaller once it is placed in the breast implant pocket during surgery, I utilize my judgment during the surgery to use the implant size that achieves the look that my patient has asked for. In all of my years of practice, I have only had one patient who felt that her implants were too small, and I have offered to replace her implants at my cost. Most plastic surgeons, however, don’t work like this, and ask their patients to choose the specific size. Again, it depends on your surgeon, and I’m sure he or she will be happy to work with you to achieve your optimal result.