Benefits to a Lollipop Lift vs Crescent or Periareolar?

What benefits are there to a lollipop lift compared to a crescent or periaerolar? Will a large implant have any effect on which one I should get?

Crescent or lollipop incision

Hi and Thank you for your question.
Without photos this is a little difficult to answer.  However in general I personally am not a fan of crescent or peri areola lifts as they flatten the breast and can distort the the areola. If as you say a large implant is being placed an d only a very small lift I s needed then a crescent or circumareolar lift may suffice. If a vertical component is used (lollipop) then increased projection can be achieved as well as taking up any lax lateral and medial skin. I usually discuss this with the patient pre-operatively letting me use my judgements inta-operatively on what techniques will give the best outcome.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast lifting, generally speaking, involves moving a woman's breasts (usually including the nipple/areola complexes) higher on her chest wall. In order to do so, the operation involves removal of breast skin, subcutaneous tissues, and/or breast tissue, mainly depending on the patient's anatomy and goals. In other words, some removal of tissue is necessary to "tighten" the breast skin envelope. Sometimes, breast implants are used at the same time to increase volume and/or provide fullness. The excision of skin and/or tissues is done after careful preoperative markings And measurements. I usually use a "tailor tacking" technique during surgery prior to making definitive incisions as well.

What type of breast lift would be "better" would depend on what is indicated, mainly based on the patient's physical examination. The more ptotic the breast, the more powerful the breast lift required. The more powerful the breast lift required, the more incisions/scars present.

The necessity to remove tissue does leave patients with scars. For some patients, considering breast lifting surgery, necessity of scarring is a "deal breaker". On the other hand, most patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations and the right time of their lives psychosocially) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry. This acceptance of the scars is the essential “trade-off” associated with many of the procedures we do in the field of plastic surgery. 

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation/lifting surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

A lollipop pop breast lift actually lifts the breast

The periareolar and crescent breast lifts are done in an effort to avoid the vertical scar.  However this is done at the expense of adequate lifting of the breast.  In most cases the vertical scar is done to remove excess sagged skin and actually lift and push the breast gland upward and improve nipple areola position.  Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon for thorough answers to your important question.

Crescent lift will elongate the areola and does very little.  The periareolar lift can move the areola a bit, but will not lift the breast.  The lollipop lift has the ability to truly lift the breast.

Benefits to a lollipop lift

There are so many benefits to the vertical (lollipop) breast lift when comparing to a periareolar lift. By removing tissue from below the NAC, you are able to reshape the breast into a more aesthetic shape....the periareolar lift flattens the breast. The scars are very predictable and tend to heal very well...the periareolar lift scars tend to widen with time. The ability to create a significant elevation in the NAC is possible.....the periareolar lift is a comparatively weak procedure. 

I would caution you about using a large implant for either of the types of breast lifts. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Comparison of different breast lift techniques

The deciding factor for which lift is utilized, primarily depends upon your current breast anatomy.  The lolipop lift does create an extra vertical scar but has the ability to lift more saggy breasts than the other two mentioned.  Also crescent and periareolar lift do indeed tend to flatten and round the breast and allow for areolar stretch over time - a common complaint of patients.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Crescent vs circumareolar vs lollipop

Using a crescent, circumareolar or lollipop really depend upon the amount of sagging and the nipple position. In general, I do not like the crescent because often the areola is too eccentric for me. The circumareola balances the circle better.  I use that technique mainly for aug lifts in which the areola just needs to be repositioned.  The lollipop I use quite often for mastopexies or with augs that need more than just the nipple.

Breast Lift

Great question!  You are correct to consider different techniques of breast lift.  It is important to focus not only on the skin scar, but also on the support you will get long-term from the lift.  Adding an implant to a breast lift can stretch the scar as it heals, causing widening if the correct technique is not used for your individual needs.  A visit to a board certified plastic surgeon with a full exam will give you an idea which technique is right for you.

The crescent lift leaves a scar around the areola, which can widen over time.  This is especially true if the breast is lifted by several centimeters and/or if a large implant is placed at the same time.  Keep in mind that the skin alone will be holding up the new breast position and (possibly heavy) implant, which leads to skin/scar stretching.  The periareolar scar is in the same position as the crescent, with the same possible problems.  There is a circumareolar scar as well (all the way around the areola), sometimes called a "donut" or "Benelli" lift.  This scar has the same potential problems as the crescent and the periareolar.

There are also "lollipop" and "anchor" breast lifts.  These two types of lifts will give you much more support than the areolar lifts.  These lifts provide support from the inside, giving the new breast position and implant a better chance at remaining in place, without drooping or stretching over time.  The anchor scar is significantly longer than the lollipop scar.  The shape of the lollipop lift complements the implant nicely, giving a lifted, more youthful breast.  Best of luck with your choices!

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon