What Procedure Would Lengthen my Eye?

my eyes are very short, to short for the width of my face, and the ends sag a little. What procedure would have to be done to elongate and lift my eyes? also could you give me an estimate of about how much i would cost?

Doctor Answers 7

Careful changing your eye shape

Dear Texas,

Unless you are dead set on changing your identity and heritage, you must be very careful about surgery to change the horizontal length of your eyes.  Furthermore, it is more difficult to perform than you, or many doctors might imagine.  My advise is to sit down with an expert in eyelid surgery, and if you are asian, than in particular someone who is very experienced in Asian eyelid surgery (yes, there are a few in the country), and discuss what bothers you.  Perhaps creating a double upper lid fold will achieve your goals of opening the lid.

Good Luck,

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon
3.4 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

There are procedures that can lengthen the eye

In an Asian full eyelid, there are procedures that can lengthen the eye but they involve surgery. You can also develop a crease through surgical procedures. As for price, it really depends on the part of the country that you’re in and exactly what needs to be done. It can’t be evaluated by looking at a photograph.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 66 reviews

Eye width - can you change it

It is possible to change the width of your eye. Obviously an adequate evaluation by an appropriately trained individual helps determine what exactly can be done. If the overall shape of the eyelids are good you can "open up" the eye simply by using botuliunum toxin ( Botox or Dysport). If your lower lid is elongated, it may require tightening of the lid or even repositioning of the corner of the eyelid.

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

What Procedure Would Lengthen my Eye?

The question you are asking is a difficult question.  There are short answers like "canthoplasty" that can help.  However, for you, I am not sure that canthoplasty is the right procedure.  You need to be evaluated by  a qualified surgeon to see what the best possible cosmetic outcome is for your eyes.  Procedures may be recommended that you have not thought about and will improve your appearance in a more natural way.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

A Canthoplasty Can Widen Your Eyes

The outer corner of your eye is known as the lateral canthus. By opening up the Canthus and moving its attachements to the bone laterally, you can horizontally widen your eyes. This procedure is known as a Canthoplasty. Make sure your surgeon has done this procedure in the past as it is more complicated than a standard Blepharoplasty.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Lateral Canthoplasty Can Adjust The Outside Corner of the Eye in Angle and Length

Elongation of the eye refers to increasing their width or horizontal length between the inside and outside corners. Through a procedure known as a lateral canthoplasty, it is possible to increase the eye width a few millimeters. Using the same procedure, the slant of the outside corner can be lifted up so it does not sag or angle downward.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD
Indianapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

What Procedure Would Lengthen my Eye?

Dear Texas 5952:


You can't  really lengthen your eyes, in other words you can not make them longer in the horizontal direction. You can elongate them in the vertical direction. It appears from the picture that you are of  Asian descent. A lot of people of Asian descent have no double crease. By creating a double crease and removing some skin from the top eyelids, your eyes would give the illusion that they are actually longer and wider.


Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 113 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.