Do I have uniboob? Or tenting? (Photo)

I am 4 weeks post op uplift and 600cc high profile implants. The skin between my breast is still raised and only goes down and separates when I push on it. I have a mild cleaveage line but feel as though my breasts are not seperate. Is this normal or do I have an issue that needs correcting? Many thanks

Symmastia?

Based  on your photos you do appeare to have a condition called symmastia  You need to discuss this with your surgeon since this will need a surgical correction. Unfortunately nothing can be done for at least six months. This is the normal healing time. Going in and trying to do a secondary procedure while still healing from the first is usually going to only makes things worse  You will most likely need a surgical correction with the replacement of the implants with a smaller size. Best of luck

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Do I have uniboob? Or tenting?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue..

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast Lift with Implants - Symmastia or Uniboob

Thank you for your question about recovery from Breast Lift with Implants.

Based solely on the pictures you have provided, it appears that you have signs of symmastia, also referred to sometimes as uniboob. Large breast implants can present and increased risk for symmastia and other breast implant complications.

For specific questions about this and about your recovery in general, it is best to speak directly with your doctor or doctor’s representative – such as his or her nurse, or the physician on call for the practice.

You will likely get many differing opinions from members of the RealSelf Community, but they have not physically seen or examined you. Nobody should know you or your unique set of circumstances better than your doctor.

If you feel you are not being listened to or you are doubting your doctor’s recommendations, then it is certainly within your rights to seek a second opinion and get the advice from another board certified physician. This should be done through an in-person consultation with a thorough evaluation, including a review of your history, review of all prior treatment and with a physical examination.

Obviously, if you think that you are having a medical emergency or other serious problem, you should call 911 and/or go to your nearest emergency room.

Best Wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Symmastia

In the photos it does look like you have a symmastia.  You should discuss treatment with your surgeon. Best of luck.

Do I have synmastia?

From your photographs, it does appear that you have synmastia. Synmastia is when the two breast pockets made for the implants connect to each other. This will produce a tunnel connecting the two implants across the chest wall that is sometimes noticeable as skin pulling away from the breastbone. It is best diagnosed in person by squeezing on one side and seeing if the implant passes through this tunnel towards the opposite side. It seems to be more common when implants are placed on top of the muscle rather than below because, the muscle coming off the ribs, is further away from where the breastbone starts. When some attempt at making a wide breast space narrower is made, this may result in the pockets being very close to each other, such that with time and the pressure of the underlying implant, a tunnel is created between the pockets. In my experience, attempts to repair this with simple suturing techniques have failed. I've seen many a patient after these attempts with little depressions in the skin that are very hard to correct. The best correction involves either making a new pocket under the muscle and on top of the old capsule or creating a flap of breast capsule and suturing it to a piece of non stretchable material such as pigskin that we call Strattice. I would recommend that you go back to your operating surgeon to discuss these possibilities based on his or her examination. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Do I have uniboob? Or tenting?

Hi. What does your surgeon say? have you shared your concerns? You need for all of the swelling to subside before making a final assessment. However, based on the photos you uploaded, symmastia or uniboob is the diagnosis. Give it time, and go back to your surgeon if it persists and see what opitions you are offered to correct. Good luck. Dr. PG