Where Can I Legally Buy Juvederm to Inject my Own Skin?

I would like to purchase juvederm and botox for myself. I am not a physician however I heard that if I order it from a different country,such as New Zealand,it is legal.Is this true?

Regarding: "Where Can I Legally Buy Juvederm to Inject my Own Skin?
I would like to purchase Juvederm and Botox for myself. I am not a physician however I heard that if I order it from a different country,such as New Zealand,it is legal.Is this true
?"

By law, Botox, Juvederm and other medications are NOT sold to anyone who does not have a license to practice Medicine. If you do buy such items whoever is selling it to you is breaking the law by selling it to a non-physician or by selling you a fake medication. The purchase of Botox and other medications from "over seas" pharmacies is also illegal and any physician injecting a patient with such materials risks Federal penalties and potential loss of his medical license. Finally, injecting yourself with Botox is as intelligent as performing your own appendectomy.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Do Not Do This Without a Proper and Intact Medical License

I would strongly recommend never doing this. As part of a group devoted to preventing fake and counterfeit products like this entering the US, we don't accept this – and it is against the law to obtain a medicine, which this is, without a proper and intact medical license. Don't do it.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Buying your own Botox and Juvederm

You can't legally buy these products in the US because you don't have a license to practice medicine, and any product you import from another country can't legally be injected since it hasn't been approved by the FDA. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Buying your own Botox & Juvederm

It is highly unsafe to even attempt to buy and inject your own Botox & Juvederm without a medical license.  It is not only against the law, it is extremely dangerous as the efficacy of the medication and injection technique can not be guaranteed.  See a licensed medical practitioner who is supervised by a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist, no exceptions.

Thomas McFadden, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Not legal

This is not a good idea because if you aren't a physician, Juvederm can't be legally sold to you. Anything you buy will be obtained illegally. Juvederm can only be sold to a licensed physician and administered by a medical professional. 

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Should you inject fillers and Botox in your own face?

I am concerned for you.  Even if you could obtain the medications and equipment needed, and I have never heard of someone being able to do that, if you weren't using strictly clean or sterile technique you could get an infection that hides out in the deep tissues of the face and is very hard to eradicate with antibiotics.  You could hit an artery or nerve trunk and get in real trouble with necrosis (death) of skin or nerves, paralyzing a portion of your face, or even causing permanent blindness or stroke.

On a simpler level, no matter how intelligent or careful you are, there is really no possibility of you being happy with the results.  For example, I was in school, doing medical research, or in a training program for 27 years before I saw my first dermatology patients withiut supervision.  I then studied and was trained in aesthetic procedures for another 5 years, and only then began treating patients with cosmetic procedures.  Actually, the learning never stops.

I was trying to see if this question was submitted on April 1st, because I think you are just pulling our legs to make us a little crazy, right? You used to do this to your poor mother, too?

*******It is now May, 2016 and I am updating this answer because this post comes up on page 1 of a Google search for buying Juvederm, and I am hoping to dissuade anyone considering injecting themselves from doing something so dangerous and foolish. In just the last few days, I have learned of two individuals who injected themselves with filler and got into real and serious trouble. Please see the real self post below.*********

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Juvederm and botox legally

No, You cannot purchase these products unless you are a licensed physician. Any product that is not coming directly from the manufacturer (Allergan) cannot legally be used in patients here in the US.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Where can I buy Juvederm to inject myself?

There are a number of red flags in your inquiry:

1. You're not a physician, yet you want to perform your own injections. This is not wise at all. These are medical procedures that require a lot of experience to be performed well and safely. They are not DIY treatments.
  2. You want to order outside the US. That is illegal and the FDA is very strict in enforcing this law. If caught, you could face jail time. They take this VERY seriously.
  3. As these are medical treatments, they can only be sold to physicians, no exceptions! Anyone selling that to you is either breaking the law or selling you fake product or both. this can be very dangerous in terms of safety because you have no idea what you're actually injecting.
  4. You really should ask yourself why you're even contemplating doing such a thing. There are safety issues and legal issues to consider here. If you really want the treatment, find an expert in facial aesthetics such as a board certified dermatologist to maximize your results while minimizing any side effects. Remember the bitterness of a poor result always outlasts the sweetness of low price!

Peterson Pierre, MD
Thousand Oaks Dermatologist

Make your safety a priority

There are two reasons not to buy juvederm for your own skin

1) you will not be able to get it through an authorized channel in this country; if you are buying from an unverified source, how do you know that you are getting real juvederm?  how do you know that it has been stored in good condition and is sterile?

2) there are actually many potential pitfalls to injections.  An experienced injector is doing a lot more than thinking about how to make your lips more beautiful; she is also avoiding bad outcomes, such as skin necrosis, blindness, infection.

Melissa Chiang, MD, FAAD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers and toxins can only be purchased by a licensed physician

Please do not make the error of thinking that fillers and toxins are like makeup or clothing.  These are medical devices and drugs that should only be used in a medical setting.  In the United States, physicians purchase these products only from the official distributors.  Buying products from other countries or distributors risks getting counterfeit product.  Use of counterfeit product can lead to lumps, bumps, pain, infection, scarring and even death.  

I hope this answer was helpful. Best wishes.

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD