Do I Have Lazy Eye? How Can This Be Fixed?

All my life, one eye has been drastically smaller than the other. The eyebrow of the smaller eye is also much lower.

Doctor Answers 7

A lazy eye can be fixed with surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A lazy eye can be fixed with surgery and that will also help to affect the problem.  Often surgery on the eye will cause the eyebrow to drop so it will become more even.  But it is best to see an oculofacial plastic surgeon for this type of procedure. 

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 68 reviews

Do I Have Lazy Eye? How Can This Be Fixed?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As you correctly stated, your left eye is smaller then your right eye, and your left eyebrow is lower then your right eyebrow.  If it bothers you, you should see an Oculoplastic surgeon to consider you treatment options.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have left upper eyelid ptosis.  It may also correlate with bony facial asymmetry, with left side of your face being smaller than the right side (although hard to to tell from your cropped photo).  There are surgical options to improve the symmetry of the eyelids.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Facial Asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As Dr. Steinsapir has mentioned, you have mild left upper eyelid ptosis. In addition, you have mild brow asymmetry, with the left side being lower. It is not unusual for patients to have a degree of right/left asymmetry, and I would suspect that there is an underlying bony asymmetry as well.

ASOPRS. org is a great site for additional information.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

You should see an opthalmologist for your Lazy eye

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should see an opthalmologist for your Lazy eye for evaluation and possible treatment options.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

This is not a lazy eye.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Curiously you seem to have some simple asymmetry. Born this way is what you suggest. It almost looks like you had a bit too much Botox in your left brow with some resulting brow ptosis. Your question will be best answered by having a consultation with a facial plastic/occuloplastic specialist so your face volume and dimensions can be measured and evaluated. Could you have some damage to your facial nerve to the left forehead from a forceps application? Lots of questions plus a good examination first then solutions made if any exist. Maybe dropping the right brow a little with Botox might help?

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

You do not appear to have "lazy eye."

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Lazy eye is a lay term for amblyopia.  The lack of visual development in one of the eyes from infancy results in the eye turning in or out.  Treatment for amblyopia is early childhood patching and when necessary eye muscle surgery to correct eye alignment.  This is not what you appear to have.  What you have going on is upper eyelid ptosis of the left eye.  Consider seeing an oculoplastic surgeon for this condition.  Kevin Perlman, M.D. in Washington DC would an excellent choice.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory that can also help you find a well qualified surgeon ( ASOPRS dot org).

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.