Keeping incision dry?

I had my MM on 10/5 and was given the ok to shower. I have two bandaids with gauze under them on the areas that the drains were taken out of. The gauze gets wet every time I shower and I pat dry and it stays wet. I'm seeing all of these posts about people getting infections. Won't the wet gauze against an open wound cause an infection? I'm asking here because it's a Saturday and my is office is closed.

Showering After a Mommy Makeover Procedure

My patients are permitted to #shower 2-3 days after most every surgery. They are provided #after-care instructions to how to properly care for the surgical sites.  For additional after-care recommendations, it's best to ask such of your board-certified plastic surgeon or their licensed medical staff. You may also find it helpful if a loved one, friend or partner is available the first time you shower #post-up to assure you are strong enough and able to access hard-to-reach areas.

Question about bandage - on a weekend

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• You can always contact your surgeon or his staff over a weekend. 
    There should be an after-hours number or answering service.
  • However you are correct that a wet gauze on an incision is usually not a good idea.
  • I suggest you remove the gauze if it is very loose when you shower and then place new gauze - if you can't reach your surgeon.
  • If the gauze does not come off easily - leave it and wait to talk to your surgeon.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.  Someone in his/her office should be returning phone calls on the weekends.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Keeping incision dry

Remove the band aids before showering and then replace with a dry clean dressing once you have finished showering. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Keeping incision dry?

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your mommy makeover.  Unless your surgeon specified, you need not keep your gauze and bandaids on while showering.  Take these off and shower as normal, avoiding any scrubbing or tension along your incision lines.  Once done, pat yourself dry and apply fresh clean gauze and tape to the areas of opening.  Hope this helps.