I'm skinny, so why do I have love handles? (Photo)

Im 18 years old, in two months ill be 19. Ive went from 150lbs to 101lbs with in a year. Im exactly 5 foot tall and ive noticed my love handles are the only thing on my body that havent got smaller durning my weight lose. I dont really wanna lose any more weight. I dont like dieting or exercising... Tbh im lazy and im outta shape. Like, i spend my time in my room laying in bed all day eating junk food. Like, with my life style what would be my best option on losing my love handles????????

Liposuction candidate

Liposuction should definitely address the problem. See a board certified plastic with an expertise in body contouring in your area for a detailed consultation. They should be able to answer your concerns more specifically. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #liposuction

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Still have love handles

Congratulations on your weight loss.  It's not an easy thing to do.  Sometimes genetics plays an important part of where fat comes off of or stays on.  We all have our areas that seem to be the hardest to lose weight from.  You may want to adjust your lifestyle a little.  Try some exercise to speed up the metabolism and eat high fiber and protein rich foods.  You could do liposuction of that area but without a lifestyle change you may experience weight gain even after the surgery.  My suggestion is a little diet and exercise.  If that does not work, you can consider liposuction to your stubborn areas.  Best of luck!

John M. Trupiano, MD, FACS
Troy Plastic Surgeon

Still have love handles!

Thank you for asking about your love handles.

Congratulations on your weight loss! That sounds like step one in a new life. I agree you should not lose more weight - you've done fantastically. Your best option will be to change your life style - I know it's hard when you're young but life goes by quickly and I want you to have more fun than staying in your room eating junk food. But if the time isn't right to change that, then it will help your shape (and maybe motivate you too) to see a plastic surgeon to see if a little liposuction is the answer. You may have loose skin after your weight loss but being young, chances are it is just a little fat that your body, genetically, isn't going to give up unless your are underweight and we don't want that for you. 

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Love handles

Hi abby

Fat metabolism and distribution is determined by your genetics.  You have lost a third of your body weight, and that is awesome- congrats!

When you lose the weight in fat, unfortunately, you can't tell your body how much to lose from each area.  Your fat will come off where it is programmed to come off, and it may not in the same order or proportion that the fat goes on, and in some cases, the fat pad will be resistant to weight loss, no matter how much the loss.

So, in short, it isn't fair.

Don't let the love handles put a damper on your wonderful accomplishment.  Keep up the great work and stay healthy.

sek

Love Handles in Thin Patients

The love handle area tends to be one that is somewhat persistent despite being near your ideal weight. More diet and exercise may be helpful; I have certainly seen patients for liposuction to the flank area alone. I would consider some regular exercise and eating healthier and see what progress you can make. If, despite your best attempts, this is still a problem area, you could visit with a plastic surgeon to discuss your options. 

Ashley B. Robey, MD

Love handles

Love handles may be related to your overall anatomy. It could also be loose skin after losing 50lbs. You would have to be evaluated in person.

I'm skinny, so why do I have love handles?

First of all congratulations on the weight loss.  Second of all if you hope to maintain it I think you would be best off not spending most of your day lying in bed eating junk food.  It is bound to catch up with you and stick to those unwanted areas.  Also of course it is not very good for your general medical health.

Those "hip rolls" may be composed of loose skin or you may have some fatty prominence beneath them. The way to tell is to pinch a double layer and determine the thickness of the subcutaneous fat.  With fat there you have the option of liposuction or perhaps a noninvasive technique such as iLipoXcell or cool sculpt.  Do your research and try to get back on track to maintain a healthy weight with diet and exercise and consider either of those procedures if they are of interest to you.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Losing the Love Handles with VASER HI DEF, ThermiRF, Ultrasound

Every body holds weight differently. Based on your picture, you would be a good candidate for liposuction. I recommend VASER HI DEF with ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting to get the most fat removal, skin tightening, and contouring. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with a hi-def physique expert. Non surgical options include coolsculpting, vanquish and a combination of those. Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction

Liposuction works best on patients who are of relatively average weight, but who need help with a problem area, or with shedding the ten pounds they regain between diets. It is not a substitute for diet and exercise. People with good skin quality and minimal sagging, make an ideal candidate for liposuction. Liposuction modifies volume by sucking out fat, and liposuction candidates need good skin tone. The procedure takes about an hour, the recovery takes just a couple of days, and there's virtually no scarring. I use several innovative forms of liposuction, including SmartLipo, in order to contour and resculpture the area while providing the most beautiful results with minimal scarring. SmartLipo, used in combination with other forms of liposuction or alone, is a procedure that uses laser light to liquefy fat and tighten the surrounding skin. Liposuction as an outpatient procedure under I.V. sedation can easily reduce lovehandles. Because liposuction stimulates the skin to tighten, good elasticity provides a smooth contour after fat is removed.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Liposuction

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for waistline contouring liposuction of your abdomen and flanks.  This can greatly improve your overall shape with a smaller waist.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD