Juvederm Ultra. Could my teeth grinding be the reason why my cheek fillers won't last?

I get juvederm in my lips and juvederm ultra in my cheeks. My lips havent gone down in the year its been since i last had them done. But the fillers in my cheeks have completely dissolved after 2 months only ! I went back after and got more in my cheeks and again they dissolved in 2 months. Could my teeth grinding be the reason while my cheeks filler won't last ? Also would Juvederm Voluma last longer for me? I would be happy if it could last a year...if not I will have to consider cheek implants.

Cheek filler

Grinding the teeth may or may not affect the longevity of the filler in the cheek (and it could be helped with a little Botox or Dysport in the masseter to weaken the muscle).Chronic movement of the area that has filler may cause it to break down more quickly, and the type of filler and depth it was placed also influences how long it will last.I would recommend a different filler such as Voluma, Restylane Lyft or Radiesse – these fillers are made for the cheek area & definitely last longer than Juvederm Ultra.Once your cheeks are at ‘full correction’, the filler should definitely last longer than two months.Good luck!

Dr. Michelle Spring

Juvederm and Cheeks/Lips

Different fillers last different times in specific areas.  The cheeks do better with a longer lasting filler like ultraplus, voluma, radiesse, or bellafill.  I combine all my fillers with sculptra/PRP to get more long term improvement.  Grinding doesnt affect fillers but can be improved with botox to the masseter. Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvedem and the cheeks and Voluma

I much prefer Voluma for the mid face since Juvederm does not last as long and is not the best material for this area.  With Voluma you will have much better and longer lasting results. Best, Dr. Green

Voluma

Thank you for your question. Voluma may indeed be a more suitable option for long lasting results in your cheeks as the product was designed for this area. I recommend that you seek a qualified injector who offers Voluma and find out if that may be a better option for you.

All the best

Thank you for your excellent question.  Fillers will vary in duration by person, placement location, and filler material.  Typically you can anticipate 3-4 months for the Juvederm whether placed in the lips or cheeks, but this is highly variable.  If you liked the results that Juvederm gave you in your cheeks initially, Voluma may be an excellent option as reports have shown continued effects for 2 years or more.  Voluma is specifically indicated for the cheek/mid-face region.  See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to assess your possible results.  

Juvederm not appearing to last

Injectable filler longevity varies greatly from person to person and location of injection.  In general, fillers tend to not last as long in areas with a high degree of movement.  Areas such as the tear trough and cheeks usually last longer than around the mouth.  Placement of the filler can also effect the ; deeper injections appear to produce less of a tissue response and results can be less noticeable.   The filler may still be present but is not creating the same amount of response.  In the cheeks, it is safe to use other fillers such as sculptra or radiesse which may provide a better response.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon