Does Juvederm VOLUMA Promote Collagen Production?

A week ago I had Juvederm Voluma injected in each cheek - 2 syringes each. After a few days they look rather deflated and not as good as they did intiially. I was told I would notice this after a week or 2 and may be disappointed for a short time, but then after a couple of weeks the product would be gradually promoting collagen production and it would look better after a little time. I haven't been able to find any other comments relating to this - can someone clarify/support this claim?

Juvederm Voluma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Voluma is still not available in the US, but it is a hyaluronic.  Hyaluronics are fillers at heart, and not really classified as collagen stimulators like Radiesse, Sculptra and Artefill.  I think you experienced the post injection swelling at first and at a week out you are seeing the true amount of volume created with your first session.  Some of my colleagues who rely mostly on hyaluronics for all areas of facial filler state they feel there may be subtle collagen stimulation over time with repeat injections of the same product in the same location.  Their argument is they do not seem to need as much filler and the time intervals between injections seem to lengthen.  Each filler and collagen stimulator has its place on the face.  One product will not do it all.

Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma probably promotes collagen production, but not substantially

Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler, and the main way that it works, is via the hyaluronic acid being part of your skin and helping to provide structure.  

Although recent evidence indicates that HA fillers probably do stimulate minor collagen production, probably as a result of the fibroblasts (collagen-producing cells) responding to being stretched, I would not consider this to be a very prominent part of how they work. 

So, the answer to your question is that technically, voluma probably does promote collagen production, but not to the extent that it would make a noticeable difference.  

If you like the result you had during the period when you had swelling, you would probably like the effect of additional volume.

Does Voluma Promote Collagen Production?

I have been using Juvederm Voluma for over 1.5 years and have not seen evidence of collagen stimulation.  This product is not designed to stimulate collagen.  It provides natural long lasting results.  Studies on Restylane have shown that there can be some collagen stimulation with the use of HA's but this is less common and not the reason for injecting Voluma.

Its not unusual to get some mild swelling for a days post injection which can persist for up to 2 4 weeks.  I will therefore wait to do any boost injections at the 1 month follow up visit.  What you see at 1 month should persist up to 2 years.

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
200 Stony Brook Court, Newburgh, New York

Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon (ABFPRS)
American Society forLaser Medicine & Surgery (ASLMS)
Clinical Professor New York Presbyterian Hospital
National Education Faculty (physician trainer) for:
Allergan (Botox, Juvederm, Voluma), Galderma (Scultpra, Restylane, Silk),
Cynosure (Cellulaze, Precision Laser Lift) & Solta (Fraxel, Thermage)
Zeltiq( CoolSculpting)

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Promoting Collagen Production

There have been some studies that have shown that hyaluronic acid fillers may promote collagen production, however, these are preliminary. It is reversible and very safe. Voluma has some residual effect for up to 2 years according to its pivotal FDA studies.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Sounds like Sculptra, not VOLUMA

Based on your description, it seems like you may have had Sculptra and not Voluma. Voluma is instantaneous and only swells for a few days (and would not deflate). Sculptra promotes collagen building, Voluma does not.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma may stimulate collagen production to a very limited extent, but it definitely would not cause collagen production enough to make it noticeable and definitely not in a few weeks. What you may need is more fillers.

Voluma does not stimulate collagen

Voluma is an "as-is" filler meaning it is HA that is injected into the skin. It will absorb some water so you may get a bit more "lift" or "volume" than what is placed. If you are looking to build collagen from filler injected- sculptra may be more appropriate for you. 

Sameer Bashey, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma may insignificantly promote collagen production

Voluma is classified as a hyaluronic gel filler. This hyaluronic acid integrates itself in the skin and helps give structure and volume, which was lost. Recently, there were some studies indicating that hyaluronic acid fillers such as Voluma, may trigger collagen production though only in insignificant amounts. These may possibly be due to the cells that produce collagen acting in response to being overextended or stretched. However, this is not how Voluma works and this is not why it is used. Technically, Voluma does promote collagen manufacturing, but take note that this will not show any visible difference.

On the other hand, the deflation that you have mentioned may be due to the subsiding of the swelling after effect. If you are happier with the result that you had when there was swelling, I would suggest that you describe this to your surgeon for possible volume addition. It would be best to wait for a month though. As what you will see in a month’s time will basically be what you will observe for the next 18 to 24 months.

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Voluma and Collagen Production

Voluma, like all hyaluronic acid fillers, acts as a natural gel in skin to improve volume and appearance.  Several studies have demonstrated that fillers can get replaced by collagen over a long period of time.  Authors Wanik and Issa published one such study in Journal of Dermatol Surg describing increases in collagen fibers at 3 and 9 months.  Experienced injectors can also tell how the skin looks and feels different in patients with facial filler use which in part may be due to collagen formation.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Injections

Voluma can definitely cause some initial swelling post injection and as the swelling subsides over the next week or so, the result can seem less dramatic. Voluma has not been shown to promote significant collagen production. Voluma is supposed to last about 2 years. If you feel that you need more filler or you have questions about the type of filler used and what your other options are based on your needs, definitely contact your injector.