I had my lips injected today with Juvederm and am wondering if appearance is due to swelling?

I had my lips injected today with juvederm and am wondering if appearance is due to swelling. My lower lip in the corner area on one side is fuller than the other side. I don't know if this could be just swelling or if perhaps I was injected with too much too far into the corner. My question is within 8 hrs after injections would I have a good picture of evenness of my lips or due to swelling is it hard to tell. Thank you.

Too much Juvederm? Wait 24 hours, then freak out (just kidding)

Your question has probably been answered by now as you can usually tell within 24 hours after Juvederm injections whether there is too much (as long as there has not been excessive bleeding or hematoma formation). If there is too much or if it is asymmetric, it can be dissolved with Widase or Vitrase. Just avoid permanent fillers in your lips. Be well.

Dr. P

Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Expect a lot of swelling after lip injections with juvederm or restylane

For patients undergoing lip injections for the first time, the post-procedure period can be tough because of the amount of swelling seen after the procedure. Interestingly, my own experience and the studies funded by Medicis (makers of Restylane), noted that younger patients (20's to 40's) tended to swell significantly more than older patients (>50). For my patients, I suggest that they get their injections on Fridays so that they have the weekend to recover. This 3 day period is usually sufficient for the swelling to come down. It is definitely not a "lunchtime" treatment. I also tell my patients that their lips will look ridiculously big at first. In addition, asymmetry is often noticed by the patient, but you can have differential swelling after the procedure. The best time for evaluation is seconds after the product is placed and hopefully your injector is skilled enough to achieve that symmetry right off the bat. Sometimes small touchups are necessary

Whatever you do, go to a board-certified MD injector with experience with lip injections, and don't let anyone put permanent lip fillers or Radiesse in your lips. Stick with hyaluronics such as Juvederm and Restylane.

Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Juvederm

Normally the swelling from a Juvederm injection subsides within 24-72 hours.  I would recommend icing the area for 5-10 minutes every two hours while awake today and tomorrow, then see how things go.

If there was some bleeding within the area of injection that seems fuller than the other side, it may stay swollen a few more days, but should resolve within a week or so.  Again icing within the first 48 hours helps quite a bit.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm can cause swelling for usually 2-3 days before settling down

During the first 1-2 days the swelling from juvederm is noticeable and is almost always uneven. One side always swells more than the other and it could change the next day.

Try not to look at your lips for the first 2 days and do not massage them during this time since it only aggravates the swelling. Ice and arnica are helpful. Sometimes a little touch up of juvederm is needed a week later to smooth out any irregularities.

Juvederm is a great filler for lips and other areas of the face. Cost is roughly $550/syringe.

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and swelling

Since the act of injecting involves using needles to introduce the product there is going to be some element of swelling and bruising with every type of injection. Multiple factors can influence swelling including the product used, the area injected, recent intake of aspirin or similar medicines, underlying medical conditions of the patient, and to some degree the skill of the injector. Before I do Juvederm injections, I use local anethesia with adrenaline in it and wait 10 minutes before doing the injections, this constricts the blood vessels before the filler is put in and greatly decreases the chance of bruising. 

Ben J. Tittle, MD

Swelling after Juvederm injection is normal

You should expect swelling following injection of Juvederm because:
1. Multiple injections to any area is a form of trauma, and trauma causes swelling (sometimes asymmetric swelling).
2. All hyaluronic acid products (Juvederm, Perlane, Restylane) are designed to absorb water, giving a puffy appearance at first.
3. If you had a dental block done (local anesthesia injections) at the time of treatment, the anesthetic itself will cause some swelling.
I generally see patients 3 to 4 weeks after any injections.  This is a better timeframe for judging results.

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Swelling

Juvederm swelling is difficult to assess immediately after.  Steps to decrease swelling include:

• Antihistamines (oral) can decrease swelling faster in the lip.  
  • Most patients like the swollen phase, especially when properly injected though.  
  • Ice
  • Massage in specific instance can be helpful

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after lip injections

It is perfectly normal to have some swelling after having your lips injected with Juvederm.  It is also not unusual to have the swelling appear uneven. It is important to remember that your lips are likely not 100% symmetrical to start with.  Most people don't realize that there is  asymmetry until they do something to their lips and start to look very carefully in the mirror.  Give it a few days for swelling to subside before you can truly asses if there is significant asymmetry present or it was simply due to swelling.

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Swelling Following Juvederm Injections is Not Uncommon

Swelling following lip injections is not uncommon. Juvéderm, Restylane (soon Restylane Silk) and Belotero all can be injected into the lip area, and my first recommendation is to make sure you are going to a very skilled injector – a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon or an injector associated with these offices. Swelling can be treated with ice, and in several days it should resolve. Any pain in the area should be brought to the attention of the injector and looked at to make sure there is nothing wrong which needs to be addressed.

As a rule, Juvéderm may swell more than the others – but still may be useful here. Your injector will be able to work with you to determine which is best for you.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Swelling

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler used in the face to fill soft tissue defects. In the first 48 hours there is usually swelling that may be asymmetric. After that time period then the swelling will decrease and become more even.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD