Deep Scar on Cheek from Spider Bite - Would Juvederm Help?

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider on my cheek and have a deep scar. I have had laser therapy six times but the scar still remains. What would you recommend I do to either get rid of this forever or at least for a year at a time?

Doctor Answers 13

Melarase creams for

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dark scars can be improved with Melarase AM and Melarase PM creams followed by light fractinal lasers. 


Dr. Karamanoukian

#Realself100 Surgeon

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Scar Correction With Juvederm

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would have to see you in person to determine the most suitable course of treatment, however possible options may include fillers and surgical scar correction. Microneedling may help a bit as well, although the improvement may not be as dramatic as you'd like and results can be unpredictable.

Deep scars of the face are best treated with subcision or with surgical scar revision.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Deep scars of the face are best treated with subcision or with surgical scar revision. While support with a filler might help this is best done after a surgical intervention.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Deep scars are hard to reverse with fillers, excision and fat injections can work

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Deep scars are hard to reverse with fillers, excision and fat injections can work.  This is in my experience.  Sometimes you are able to get some improvement with fillers. But what I've experienced is that the filler tends to be injected in the surrounding areas and not where you want them which is under the scar.  You really have to break up the scar tissue that has accumulated under the depression and this needs to be released.   Once release you can fill it with fillers or fat.  What I like to do is undermine the depressed area with different instruments and then fill it with fat.  This however will not improve any surface characteristics like incisions or lines there.  The only way to improve that is to actually excise this type of scar.  I would really need to see a picture of the scar or the scar in person to better figure out a way to improve it.  Sometimes with the scar revision, you need to go under the skin to really release the collagen bands of scar tissue to alllow the skin to relax.  Then more fat grafting may still be needed. You can always email me a picture if you would like more details.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers are way to go

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Lasers will NOT help an isolated deep depression. Lasers MAY be useful AFTER fillers have been performed, depending on need to correct unevenness, color, etc.

I would personally go with Radiesse. Radiesse gives you more bang for your buck and for significant depressions/wrinkles, it is going to last longer AND stimulate natural collagen production. MAKE SURE you are evaluated by a dermatologist OR plastic surgeon. At a spa, they may be okay actually doing the procedure, but a Dermatologist is going to UNDERSTAND what you need, why you need it, and how it works.

Tracy Kuykendall, MD
Tulsa Dermatologist

Scar - would juvederm help

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I'd have to see you in person to tell you exactly what the best treatment would be for your scar.  If you have a dent or depression, Juvederm can help.  I had a depressed chicken pox scar on my forehead that I fill with Juvederm and it helps.  However, I'd recommend you see a plastic surgeon in consultation so they can evaluate your specific anatomy and tell you what the best treatment would be for your scar.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Treatment for a spider bite scar on the cheek

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Scars may be revised by surgical excision, punch graft, scar elevation, scar dermabrasion, Fraxel Restore multiple treatments, Fraxel Repair, special dressings, subcision and fillers. You would have to be examined to determine what are the best treatments for you. Some scars are so bound down that filler injected underneath them spreads out to the adjoining dermis and elevates the epidermis making the indented scar look deeper!

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Treatment of a scar with filler

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best way to treat your scar depends on the size, shape, depth, and location of your scar. It sounds like you would benefit from a filler, to raise the level of the scar so it is even with the rest of the skin, in combination with a resurfacing laser such as Fraxel that will blend the scar so it is less visible.  Nothing will get rid of the scar forever, but it can probably be significantly improved.  While Juvederm may only last from 4-8 months depending on where it is injected, it can last longer.  It is also a nice choice because it can fill small and large areas.  Sculptra is good for a larger area and increases the volume like blowing up a balloon.  It cannot be used as precisely as Juvederm can.  Radiesse may be an option, as it can last longer than Juvederm and it can be used for precise filling.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

Spider bite scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In your case I would recommend something more permanent like fat or Sculptra. Although Juvederm is a great product in your case a longer lasting filler should give you a good result without the need for repeated injections.


Dr Siegel

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 113 reviews

Deep Scar on Cheek from Spider Bite - Would Juvederm Help?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A posted photo could help get better advise. But my guess is yes a filler might help. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.