Having alcohol after abdominoplasty?

I had abdominoplasty two weeks ago Monday. Tonight I went to a wedding reception and had a few drinks... a few too many drinks. Now I am laying in bed scared out of my mind that I've done something to hurt my healing. I don't drink regularly. Help!

Alcohol 2 weeks post

Thank you for your question.  There is no reason to worry right now.  If you did drink and had a good time and were careful, then its ok.  I would not recommend that you do it often in the recovery period. Now make sure you rest and hydrate.  If you have more swelling today then this will disappear over the next few weeks.  Make sure you drink a lot of water. 

Drinking After a Tummy Tuck

Thank you very much for your question. At two weeks post-op, one instance of drinking will not make much difference in your recovery. While alcohol can cause swelling, and should be avoided while taking pain medications, this isolated evening should not cause any noticeable problems. If you still have concerns, do not hesitate to contact your operating surgeon for additional advice.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Don't stress out

Alcohol can increase bruising and swelling, so you may experience higher rates of these at this point. However, if you’re feeling fine then don’t worry about it too much. The stress of worrying may be more detrimental to your recovery! Please continue to follow your surgeon’s post-op instructions closely to help with your recovery.

Drinking alcohol 2 weeks after surgery

Thank you for your question.  This far out from your surgery you should be just fine.  Other than feeling sick from drinking make sure you stay hydrated and you should not take any pain medication with alcohol.  Be sure to follow up with your surgeon.

Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Drinking Alcohol 2 Weeks Post Op

This far out from your surgery you don't likely have anything to worry about. Pain medications should not be taken with alcohol and in the immediate post op period, bleeding can be a concern. At this point you only run the risk of feeling sick.

All the best

Alcohol after tummy tuck

Hi, 

The main danger in having alcohol after surgery is if you combine it with pain medications and try to operate a vehicle or do other things that require concentration. It can also interfere with some antibiotics. With that being said, it shouldn't alter your healing, and you should be just fine, especially since you don't typically drink. 

Best wishes in your recovery,

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Having alcohol after abdominoplasty?

Thank you for your question. Be calm and make sure you hydrated well. Everything is going to be fine.Please continue to follow instructions from your PS

Alcohol consumption two weeks after tummy tuck

There is nothing wrong with having a few drinks at a wedding reception two weeks after a tummy tuck.  Do not mix any alcohol with  any pain medicines that you may be  taking, otherwise don't worry about the few drinks.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Too tipsy after abdominoplasty?

Thank you for your question. To quote a line from "Animal House"   Remain calm... All is well!    A few drinks two weeks out, even a few too many is not cause for guilt or concern. Assuming you aren't wretching over the toilet there should be no harm done. Most important is to REHYDRATE!! Drink several glass of water.. slowly over time and perhaps a motrin to prevent the headache. (good hangover prevention measures anyways)  The only cause for concern would be if you were vomiting which could cause some increased pain in the abdomen and possibly cause  stitch to tear in the plication of the rectus muscles. In that case you might feel a pop or a tear and have some increased pain and possibly some swelling.

Congratulations on your tummy tuck!!

Having alcohol after abdominoplasty?

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your surgery.  Your drinks yesterday did not compromise your healing but you should take care to ensure appropriate hydration today and avoidance of any vomiting.  Hope this helps.