Minoxidil on bald patches caused by hair pulling disorder, will the hair fall out later?

Will the hair that grow from minox fall later on? Is it real hair? I used to have really thick hair but I have a habit of pulling my hair out (Trichotillomania) and now I have a bald patch on the crown of my head and I want it to grow fast so I'm I Using minoxidil spray, but is it safe?

The hair resulting from minoxidil is real although it is often finer than other hair. It may fall out after several months of cessation of minoxidil. This would be the hair that minoxidil had helped. Not your other hair. Also minoxidil is safe in almost all cases. Occasionally it causes an inflammatory reaction to the scalp and must be stopped. The inflammation is usually very easily stopped by using cortisone cream after minoxidil is stopped.As far as the trichotillomania, we just completed a blog concerning this affliction (along with pictures). The link is below. 

New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Pulling Disorder Trichotillomania

Regrowth with Minoxidil suggests that you have not completely destroyed the follicular bulbs under the skin. That is a good sign. 5% minoxidil is safe as long as you follow the instructions properly. Your biggest enemy is now pulling again. See your family doctor to discuss the problem.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride, Spironolactone

Minoxidil can sometimes cause a small telogen hair loss, this recovers quickly and is never permanent. I suggest non invasive options such as PRP/progesterone or transplantation for improvement. Please consult with a board certified dermatologist for evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Minoxidil on Trichotellomania patches in the crown

Minoxidil may cause some hair regrowth but it will be slow if it works at all. Much of the time real hair shaft diameters are not produced by this drug. Hair transplants may be the only sure way to do it, unless it is a small area, then scalp micropigmentation might work. See picture in web reference below

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Assuming you have not caused any permanent damage to your hair follicles minoxidil should speed up the growth.  If you don't have androgenetic alopecia the hair should not fall out.

Gregory Pistone, MD
Cherry Hill Dermatologist