When can I remove the gauges and tape? 5 days post op breast aug and lift. (photos)

I went out of state for my breast lift and 450cc implants. I think everything looks and feels normal so far. But when should I remove the gauges and tape? I think the doctor said remove bandages from nipples after 5 days and remove bandages from "anchor" incisions after 10 days, but what if they're not ready to just be opened? And if they are do I just continue to wear the sports bra and do nothing else?

Post operative instructions

Ask your surgeon for clarification.  Typically the dressing can be removed after a week and in my practice the steri strips are removed and replaced at the first post operative appointment and are replaced every few days for several weeks.

Dressing removal following plastic surgery

Most dressings can be removed in 5-10 days. Steristrips can be removed in 7-10 days. The longer you wait the easier they come off but wait too long and they start smelling.

Post-op questions

Since you recently had surgery, you should really address these questions to your surgeon. Best of luck.

Dressings after breast lift with implants

So at 5 days post surgery you can likely remove the gauze and tape but keep the steri-strips in place over the incisions if present.  I would always call your surgeon to double check any instructions you are unsure of but in general if you are not having drainage or irritation/rubbing with your bra you are likely safe to remove the dry gauze.  We all give slightly different instructions to our patients as far as when to shower, how long to wear the sports bra, etc.  So just to be safe, give them a call and I'm sure they will be happy to review your instructions to ensure your healing continues to go well.

Jennifer Geoghegan, MD