Was the incision separation on my anchor lift/implant preventable or inevitable, given that it is common with this procedure? (p

Anchor lift and 350cc implants procedure on Aug2. Separation occurred 8/23. Wound is still healing but has come a long way. PS is aware and has been guiding my wound recovery. He says over exertion of right arm is most likely to blame, which could be true bc I had been lifting my 23lb son. However apparently this is a very common risk with this type of surgery. Should my DR have split up the 2 surgeries, or had I been more careful, could I have avoided this?

Was the incision separation on my anchor lift/implant preventable or inevitable, given that it is common with this procedure?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure.  Unfortunately, as you mentioned these types of delayed healing problems are not uncommonly encountered, especially at the "T junctions" (related to blood supply and tension concerns). These wounds go on to heal through a process of contraction where the tissues heal from the sides towards the center of the wound; this process usually takes several weeks to occur, depending on the size of the wound. Occasionally, removal of unhealthy tissue (debridement) and/or removal of exposed sutures, may expedite the healing process.   

Without knowing much more detail (really known to your surgeon only), online consultants will not be able to help you with your question regarding predictability...

Best wishes;  despite the separation/wound it is most likely that you will be pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedure.

Incision Separation at corners of T in anchor incision

Unfortunately the situation you have experienced is not uncommon after Anchor Incision Breast Lifts or Reductions. However, as your photographs show, you have progressed quite well and with time the scar will fade or can be easily revised (at 1-2 years post surgery). This separation occurs because the blood supply at the corners of the "T' can be precarious even in the best circumstances. Fortunately long term serious consequences (besides the wider scar) are rare. I wouldn't beat yourself up about what you might have done or could have done. Complications such as this are usually bad luck and had nothing to do with your activity, unless you did something really extreme and crazy. Keep following up with your PS and be reassured you are going to do well.

Donald W. Hause, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon